G180w Dipstick

If you are looking for something post your request here...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

twisted

G180w Dipstick

Post by twisted »

I am looking for a G180w Dipstick.
If not would some one have the measurements so could make one.

Cheers,
Jake

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Re: G180w Dipstick

Post by IZU069 »

Preliminary info only:

Two dipsticks I have are ~218-220mm & 240-242mm.
IE - from the top of the sump tube, ~220mm to the F mark & ~240mm to the L mark.
There is 22mm between the 2 marks.
Those dipsticks are from a G180S (G180 Jap SOHC - same block as G200W with vertical dipstick on RHS between breather (old dizzy hole) and oil filter assembly), and a 117 G200W (LHS dipstick; mid-engine; angled and curved).
Both are Gemini type sumps (though the G180S may be a chopped winged or steering-box sump).

Another stick from a Piazza G200W (also LHS dipstick; mid-engine; angled and curved) is 270 & 292mm, but that is a modified dipstick (stick riveted to top sick & bung).

I endeavor to check others but that may take a while.

After cutting & shutting a sump for my first G180S, I filled with the required oil mount less 1L and marked that as "L", added 1L and marked as "F".
Then I cranked and added the amount to compensate for a filter change and rechecked the marks. (ok)

In retrospect, whilst I'd check the volume using that technique, I realise oil-height is more important - ie, the oil surface should be whatever level above the oil-pump take up level.
[IMO it should this be possible to measure the height of the top of the dipstick tube above the block/sump line and hence calculate the L & F positions. These are probably a fixed distance below the block/sump line for all G-series engines (except maybe G-Z), else probably the same for a given configuration (G180W, G200W; rack versus steering box sumps).

The quantity of oil is really only important for cooling, and then for oil life. Hence that should be the second priority.
IE - too high an oil level may strain the main seals; too low risks big-end chew out.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

twisted

Post by twisted »

Thanks for your reply, it has made a lot of sense.

When you marked it at the low and the high, what was the total amount of oil used? Also, would you know if the Z series sump fits onto the W series block? And if so this would have solved my dipstick problem.

Cheers,
Jake

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Nah - GZs are different, though largely the same (I cut&shut a Gem sump with a steering-box DOHC sump).

The difference between the lo & high is usually 1L (litre).

What I/we should really do is figure out - for all engines - the level BELOW the block for the "FULL" oil - ie, 25mm below the bottom of the block.

That is the critical measurement (ie, if lower, the oil pump can miss its take-up).

The it should be confirmed that filling x-litres conforms to that mark.

EXAMPLE:
If High is 25mm below block...
& if "1L less" is Low is 20mm below High,
and the engine is supposed to have 4L + 0.5L for oil filter of oil...

Then fill 3.0L (else 3.5L and pump thru with splugs removed if oil-filer has bee replaced) and confirm that the Low line is accurate.

Then add the last litre to confirm the High mark.

If a cut&shut or modified sump needs more (eg 6L) to reach high, then so be it - that superseded the "book" volume.

The problem is if 3L instead of 4L or 4.5L oil is required to hit the L-mark. Only 3L of oil can man overheating (plus more frequent change intervals, but DOHCs with modern oils could be changed (say) every 10,000km instead of their original 3,000 or 5,000 km <whatever> if the filter is big enough).
But adding more could strain the main seals or even break conrods etc.

twisted

Post by twisted »

Thanks for your detailed message,

Does this mean you have a book volume for oil level, as this would be a great starting point for me as I have neither a dipstick or any idea of how much oil a G180w should have.

Cheers,
Jake

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Like I said, it's probably more a case of the oil level below the block.

The G180W came out with 3 different sumps that I know of. That may effect the volume, as may the size of the oil filter (eg, I use a big Z9 filter on my G161U Florian/Bellett engine as opposed to the much smaller standard cartridge filter).

I presume you have a ZZR or ZZT Gemini blue G180W? No wings on the sump?

twisted

Post by twisted »

Yeh thats the one, without the wings, dipstick under the exhaust manifold, angled and curved.
Do you have the oil level for this engine?

Cheers,
Jake

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Full height will be the critical one. It would normally be a set height below the moving crank journals (can't allow the journals to be hitting the oil reservoir) and I would think it would be the same setting for SOHC and DOHC blocks. I have a SOHC on the engine stand at the moment, I'll measure the distance if no one does it beforehand.

sammy
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by sammy »

my G180W dipstick measured:

Overall length - (from black stopper) 29.5cm
Low - 25.5cm
Full - 28cm

I have it still and dont need it if you still need one.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

So how far are the F & L marks from the bottom block line?

Or what is the "from black stopper" to sump/block surface distance. (Add 0-3mm for gasket etc.)

twisted

Post by twisted »

Hi sammy,
Yes I am still after a dipstick, do you know what type of sump its out of?