Aftermarket engine management, fuel only????

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Aftermarket engine management, fuel only????

Post by Trent083 »

Ive been pondering over this ever since I decided to swap my commodore for the car im getting (g200w tf wagon)

Is there any way you can convert to electronic ignition on this engine without major changes? Or is it wiser to go for a fuel only ecu like a microtech lt4?

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

What is the engine originally out of? What colour top is it? All the G200W engines I gave seen have had an electronic dissy already.

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Trent083 »

Not sure, I looked at the engine and presumed it was just a normal dizzy, if not i shouldnt have any problems with an aftermarket ecu eventually

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

I thought all G200Ws had red cam covers (117s, Piazza etc).

If the G200W is from a 117, it could be points ignition.
Not sure about conversion difficulties. See viewtopic 237 - member Coley said he machined down an SOHC dizzy to suit (but was that points?). And I've replied to other posts and mentioned a Honda (points) dizzy, and electronic kits including the recent Silicon Chip design with programmable mechanical and vacuum advance and optional knock sensing - but maybe a complete ECU set up may be better (ie, Delco etc - see Poida's posts on the subject).

My own bias would be NOT to convert to the standard DOHC electronic dizzy - I reckon they it's easy to break the rotor if there is any shaft slop or if crap gets in there. It may be better fitting an optic pickup, or a hall-effect vane sensor (the "discontinued" Siemens HKZ-101 Hall effect pickups are available from Jaycar for $19.95).

Cheers, Peter.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Trent083 »

Interesting, this thing has a blue rockercover...not that it bothers me at all

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Trent083 »

NVM, I just noticed when looking at pics that some of the pipework in the bay is also the same colour as the rocker

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Check the "G stamp" on the lower left front of the block - it should be G200.

Blue rocker covers were off the G180Ws, but my G200 has a blue one (they are all interchangeable) because, er, um, it looked better than a red one.
I certainly wouldn't use a blue cover to fool the authorities into thinking that I had replaced the standard Florian 1600cc OHV engine with an 1800cc DOHC would I? Mind you, I thought that "G200" on the font of the block was merely some sort of casting number. Dear oh dear, they'll be refusing me a visa next....
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.