G180W timeline

A forum for Twin Cam and G###W fitted vehicles specific chat

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Greengem20B

G180W timeline

Post by Greengem20B »

Can anyone tell me what year the G180W first made its appearance in a Gemini?

I need to get a mod plate for the twin cam in my car and engineer needs to know what year it was released in a Japanese Gemini, it seems at this stage all I need for the mod plate is to have the original Holden EGR valve set up and connected to the twin cam.

Any help and more so a scan of any documentation ie workshop manual or sales brochure would be awesome,

Cheers

Todd.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Re: G180W timeline

Post by IZU069 »

They were available in the 1984 else 1985 ZZRs. I'm not sure about earlier.

Prior to that they were in the 117 as a carby and later EFI (1976??).

I can check if no-one else has the info...
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

I told the engineer it was 1982, same as my TF :P and on that he said all I needed was to use the Gem emissions system.

Id have to imagine that anything from an Australian TE to TG should have the same emission requirements for the mod plate, they all use the same emission system standard I believe

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

I would have thought that it went by the year of the vehicle - not the engine.

But I'm used to pre-ADR vehicles so I could ignore all that and pull the stuff off G200Ws, 4ZE1s etc.
(Although one RWC place wanted me to get a VicRoads statement saying my 1969 Florian was exempt (for a G200W). Needless to say, I changed RWC tester! Dorks!)

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

Up here in QLD you cant put an older motor into a later model car, but as long as it was in a JDM Gemini at the same time my GMH TF was built Im cheering.

They have no idea about the engine, we struggle to know the finer details at times and we love the bloody things lol so that may work in my favour. DOT inspector even thought I had bent the diff control arms until I assured him it was standard, same with the "bent" aftermarket panhard rod Ive got, thought I had that bent to get the car lower...had to smile

The G180W doesnt have an EGR valve on it, my G200W does, so hopefully they dont realise its not there if not Ill have to swap manifolds and weld a fitting to the extractors and bend a piece of tube up to join the 2

They will do an emissions test which Im not sure it will pass, runs veeery rich and doesnt idle so few things to sort yet

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Most other states are the other way around - the engine must meed the ADR for the vehicle - ie, a '79 G200W in a '86 Piazza must meet '86 Piazza requirements.
That's why I like my pre-ADR (1974) vehicles.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Emissions components are not really as simple as adding something off another similar engine. Just because a locally produced DIFFERENT engine has an EGR system doesn't mean the twincam has to have one as well. You could just as easily argue that modifying the Japanese system (Japanese had a stricter emissions requirement than we did at that time) already on that engine may effectively cause deficiencies in the emissions readings. The main purpose of the EGR system is to bleed a controlled amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion process to aid in reducing nitrous oxide emissions (which is a major cause of photochemical smog - the haze you see in the city sky). It may also be worth mentioning to the inspector, that not ALL TF Gemini engines had the EGR system, it depends on it being manual or auto trans!

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Upon rereading Poida's answer, I wanted to emphasize his point:
Poida wrote:Emissions components are not really as simple as adding something off another similar engine.
Don't even think of bolting others on.
I suspect that if "few other engines breath like it" wrt fuel, then certain things like air pumps may be hard to match. Ok, bad example? EGR valve temps & pressures?
But twincams met the specs at the time, and with G-W series only EVER being for the Japanese domestic market - and adding to Poida's later comment - the Japanese usually have stricter emissions requirement than us and most others. (Tokyo's 20XX nano-particle diesel emissions - another Isuzu milestone.)

But do the requirements follow the vehicle year or engine year. In Vic AFAIK it is the vehicle, and I hope it's not a case of "matching" but superseding, though proving enhanced ADR Compliance might be more difficult than anyone proving any ADR modified twincam's compliance.

But I'm off the hook - I only have G200Ws - plus a few G180W & G180S blocks - but no G180W plumbing.

However, we have the G200WE engine manual, and the G200W was used in the 117 from 1979 latest until 1985.
The 1980 to 1985 Piazza G200Ws used I-TEC fuel & ign ECUs (whose distributor module is interchangeable with 1989-onward Jackaroo 4ZE1 optic dizzies; not Rodeo - different connector & location).

A distraction.... I just read a 2006 post on isuzone about the DOHC dizzies... "Distributor fails - Delco dizzy ex-Camira/Family II engine can be modified to suit".
I hope THAT has since been updated. The modified RG dizzy craps all over the "older generation" Delco ignitions (Camira, N13, VN) unless you are using a Delco ECU (IMO a very wise choice). But even then, use an RG dizzy without the ignitor as the Delco dizzy-module's input (HEI-4?). And hence your points-dizzy only needs its upper-rotor and breaker-plate (with pickup) substitution - usually no re-gapping is required, but no drilling or filing as required to fit the RB etc ignitor.
To go back to those horrible horizontal multi-piece pickups with their ringed multi-pole ironwork - remember the breaking of the DOHC reluctor dizzy's flat magnetic ring? And as for multi-plate breaker plates...