valve clearances?

A forum for Twin Cam and G###W fitted vehicles specific chat

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

nut161

valve clearances?

Post by nut161 »

anyone know the g180w valve clearances?? just so i got another thing to check on the weekend to try track this noise down.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

I could be completely wrong (in which case I'll look like a dickhead) but I don't think there's any valve clearance specification in these engines, because nothing can be adjusted easily. I guess you'd just want to know the shims are only just being contacted (or not at all) by the cam lobes when closed, but they're being opened as much as possible by the cam lobe.

The only way to adjust as far as I know would be either putting little washers under the cam buckets/shims, or getting a cam regrind...

If I were you I'd just eyeball it, see if the cam lobes are contacting the shims when closed, and if so, try to figure out how much pressure they're applying (can you rotate the shim by hand whilst the cam is touching it, with valve closed?) etc.

But I leave it open to those with more experience with these engines to post the RIGHT way of doing things, not guesses... lol
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

nut161

Post by nut161 »

yeah i was jsut chasing the numbers so i could check them to see if anythign was out of the ordinary, but i think its jsut a slight exhaust leak now so once i fix that ill know for sure.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

there are valve clearances i just can't remember what they are.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

They all have some sort of clearance even if too difficult to adjust. Even desmos have zero clearance specified (where negative gaps are not recommended!)
I think the clearances are the usual 0.25 & 0.30mm (in & ex) but I too amn't sure. Oi - Poida!
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

i ran the same sclearance as the toyota 18r* 1.8 twin cam