twincam tappet noise?

A forum for Twin Cam and G###W fitted vehicles specific chat

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

nut161

twincam tappet noise?

Post by nut161 »

ok my twincam has been kinda rattly since i first fired it up but its getting louder. i know these engines tappets are done with shims so what else can cause this noise in the topend?? its particularly at numbers 3-4 cant pinppoint which one. with the tappet cover off all looks good with no obvious signs of wear, damage etc. the engine never heats up in this cold weather atm also, during the warmer days it will get to temp but the cold days/night wont let it get past 60.

all oil has been changed with a new filter about 4 weeks ago. it concerns me as last time i had this noise in a g series it went bang in a big way.(never pulled it down so dunno what let go)

ke20_lor0la

Post by ke20_lor0la »

Have you taken the head apart at all? you could have a couple of shims mixed up

elky
I live in: Qld

Post by elky »

nah he hasnt, that head has never been touched in the 10years i have known the motor
Gem-wreck

wrecking gemini's, piazzas, early rodeo's and jackaroo's 0419021757

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Oil? Your running 25W50 yeah?
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

thay are prone to tarve the rear of the cams of oil if the oil pump is worn and could of damaged the cam bearings. i had this on one of my motors but i can't see this making a tappet noise unless it damaged the lobe.
have you pulled the tappet cover off to have a look.

nut161

Post by nut161 »

hmm i think i have the penrite hpr40 stuff in it that i used to run in my turbo gem. ill check the bottle tonight.

my oil pressure gauge seems to be acting normal so i hope it isnt an oil related problem. my tappet cover is weaping a little so i will take it off and have another look for damage to the lobes. i think there is something wrong with it but cause its never had the power i was expecting from it, probly be lucky to have any more than a 1600 with a weber.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

Don't run HPR40 - it's too thick!! HPR50 definitely seizes them at hi RPM so I'd expect 40W to increase bearing wear rate.
These are not a sloppy engine so heavy weight is not required.
Normal 20W-50 should be fine (assuming temperate climate) but not GTX-3 etc.

As to noise - are you sure it isn't the cam chain tensioner (or chain)?
FYI: The older "non-ratchet" tensioners were noisy on startup, but later ratcheted ones solved this problem.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.