how thirsty are g180w's??

A forum for Twin Cam and G###W fitted vehicles specific chat

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

nut161

how thirsty are g180w's??

Post by nut161 »

ok i have my 1800 running on a pair of solexs i bought from a mate that had them on a 2l sillycar twincam. now these carbs no matter how i adjust them jsut want to run lean and one throat likes to cough and wont balance out. also when u try rev it is a mission for the revs to rise and then it takes a long time for the revs to drop again.

so ive come to the conclusion the jetting is insufficient but that seems weird due to the carbs coming from a similar design but larger twincam motor??

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Although the 18RG [im assuming thats what they came out of] might be similar in size its airflow characteristics are completely different. Jetting should help you big time, but why solex's?

I know they cost money, but id ATLEAST go Dellortos.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

nut161

Post by nut161 »

cause they where cheeeep. im regretting it now but thats for sure. i thought they would have been alot closer than they are but
im trying to get a set of webers/dellortos atm. but its a daily so i dont care if its not perfect as long as it runs safely.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

the popping could be an air leak on that runner and what fuel system are you running

nut161

Post by nut161 »

hmm that could explain alot actually, shouldnt be though as brand new soft mounts went on. im running the stocko pump on 12v with a redline carb reg set at 3.5psi.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

id be upgrading the fuel pump. also if the popping is on cylinder 4 that's generally where the brake booster line is. have you got a fuel pressure gauge on the far side of the carbies that will tell you if your fuel system is adequet. even a cheap plastic one for diaginostics. do as much as you can befor you take it to the workshop otherwise they charge you heaps to fix little problems.

nut161

Post by nut161 »

hmm my old worked g180 with twin 40 idfs ran fine on the stocko at 12v. but i have a high volume pump here i might as well use to elliminate a possible problem. nah its the 2nd pot thats coughing. i have the carbs mounted dead flat with no booster and the master sits below the trumpets so they arent getting blocked.
hmm thats a good idea about the gauge because i dont know how accurate those redline regs are, ill jsut have to pinch one of my autometer gauges to check.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

thats what i did temp gauge.