Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

denny117
Probationary Member
Probationary Member
I live in: Act

Back from the dead

Post by denny117 »

Hello all;
It's been a while since I've been on any forum, and since the demise of the Gemini forum I really didn't feel like re-writing a lot of the information I'd already commited to the internet. Now that married life and fatherhood have changed my life forever, I'm slowly clawing back at my past ventures and hobbies. The Isuzu's are coming back to life and my far over-drawn restoration of the 117 Coupe is surfacing once again. The same goes for the Gemini Coupe (once twin cam powered but soon to be 4ZE1 powered) and finally the Florian has been mothballed.
I'll do my best to keep up appearances on a Monday to Friday basis for now.
I'll have a look at the members for some familiar faces...

Hi Poida!

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

Welcome back Denny!
About time you got into those 4ZE1s!
Not sure if I'll DOHC the old GreyNurse (Florian) or E1 it. She'll probably have UBS17 Jackeroo disc rear end and TFR gearbox to handle the torque and braking. Might make it a UBS17 gearbox instead so I don't have to fit snow chains.
PS - That's all after I finish my "Sept05" round-Oz trip. I haven't set a start date though - it's still Sept05!

Cheers,
Peter (GT Belletts, Florians, Wasp, Piazzas, UBS17).
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

denny117
Probationary Member
Probationary Member
I live in: Act

Post by denny117 »

Past experience with racing and driving has taught me to put the twin cams aside for weekends. They've been a fantastic powerplant, however all mine are extremely modified; and my biggest problem has been the effects of constant revs over 6000rpm..
The 4ZE1 unit has many improvements, though not as revvy or as powerful (outright) as the Twin Cams. The torque derived from the 4ZE1 2.6 litre engine would make it a fantastic engine for a Florian - great tractability. I'd like to know more about your progress with the Grey Nurse. Is the intent of fitting the UBS17 gearbox to make it 4wd?

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

hey denny what sort of mods have you done to your twin cam's.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

The ol' Grey Nurse has been sitting for a few years. I got another (red) Florian (from ACT). I fitted the Grey's G200W to it but it was too worn by then - it had been sitting for a few years. It ran like a Crappadore V6 - she wouldn't beat V8s anymore. And 17mpg compared to 27mpg.

The 4WD Florian was an idea prompted by snowboarding - I HATE chains - I never used them overseas. Besides, the only thing better than rally driving in dirt is hooning in the snow. Love it!

The main obstacle is the front suspension - getting a shaft through the spring. But I was figuring a KB 4WD front end. I wanted to use the KB bonnet and radiator panel (with better headlights!) anyhow.... Otherwise maybe some coil-over modification?

Maybe the simplest would be a Florian body on a KB chassis.
But if our snow authorities accept the European "rubber" chains and I fitted an LSD, then I'd be happy with standard RWD. (Piazza & pre-4ZE1 Rodeo, Jackeroo LSDs bolt straight in as I discovered when fitting an LSD to the Wasp. Piazza for 3.9 ratio; others are 4.55.)

Besides, I swore I'd never own a 4WD since I've never needed one - whether in Mum's KE auto Laser up the Birdsville track, the Wasp (standard gearbox & pre-LSD) to Cooktown via the coast road, and passing countless bogged 4WDs in my Belletts. Though I now have a Jackeroo UBS17 4ZE1 courtesy of RodeoBob.
Not that the UBS17 is going yet - I've only had 2 years to rebuild the engine in time for my "September 2005" round-Oz trip! Maybe next September.
The UBS seemed a better option than getting my (red) Piazza on the road and swapping it later for my brother's Mitsubishi L300 van for the trip. Let's face it, my Piazzas are both autos and I'd rather stoop to owning a 4WD than registering an auto! Besides, I learnt that the Jacks were not the heap I thought they were. And I'm familiar with "Isuzu", even though it's EFI etc. At least the wiring color codes & conventions etc are the same as the old Belletts & Florians. And mechanicals very similar.

I still intend to reco some G200Ws, albeit with EFI. (I recently sold my DCOE45s & GTR-replica manifolds.) I was disappointed with the (manual) Piazza 4ZC1-turbo performance - same power as a G200W but only half the torque that I had. I have yet to experience the 4ZE1.

As written elsewhere, I followed the G200W advice from a certain ICCA member and fitted twin DCOE45s and a new exhaust with about a 24" long 2-into-1 from the standard exhaust manifold. This increased the power from 135HP to 150HP (presumably; it was measured as 100kW (135HP)at the rear wheel), but the torque doubled, being 360Nm @ 2,000RPM, peaking at around 383Nm @ 3,000RPM with peak power around 5,000RPM.
It meant I didn't have to replace the rear shocks on the Grey Nurse - I just powered through bitumen corrugations! (I had GT Bellett front disks, but would probably use Magna 1985-1992 vented front discs next time - they fit over standard Bellett/Florian drum hubs!! Just fabricate a bracket for the Magna caliper.)
And the looks on peoples faces when they found we were still cruising beside their performance cars. This turned to utter surprise when I then put my foot down (still in 5th gear) and left them for dead. My $2,000 V8 killer!
I ended up detuning the Florian by dropping the floats 3mm and reducing jet sizes. It was too powerful (read: tempting).
But she was getting 24-27mpg which at the time I thought was pretty poor, but all things considered, in retrospect it wasn't too bad. (Especially after hearing a BCCV member was getting 17mpg with his EFI G180W Bellett!) Detuning kept it more like 27mpg.

I'd continue with the guru's advice and port it, drop in L1 cams and fit better pistons (standad only handle 180HP). Then it should get 220HP. Nice.
This is all after my return from my "Sept05" trip. I was intending to design an EFI system on the road after learning of the woeful aftermarket systems around. But I have since found that factory systems are quite capable and do some of the stuff I wanted. (Mine was an extension to my 20 year old distributorless flywheel ring-gear timed ignition design. Might now just need a flywheel to factory EMS interface.)

Alas I ramble. Again.
And I forgot that I'm still not on speaking terms with you - something about a cream colored Florian bargain many years ago. But I guess this is writing anyhow. Besides, my grey & red Florians were picked up for about $100 more than your "creamer" which I'm pretty happy about.

Good to "have you back".

Cheers,
PeterA.
Last edited by IZU069 on 24 May 2008, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

What's a Florian? :oops:

Google img'd it but to no avail.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

If you don't know, then there is no need to know.
Florians are only available on a "need to know" basis.
If we didn't stick to those rules, then everyone would have one.

Sorry. I know it's tough. But I'm sure Denny and other Florian owners will concur.

In the meantime, here are some pics.

This is red beast is the last one I purchased in ACT (at time of purchase).

Chevrolet tried to imitate the Florian in their "Chevy LUV" (sic) ute....

The LUV & KB ute front is from the later model Florians which were not imported into Australia by GMH. EG - from Finland:

The Florian became the Aska and SAAB etc (ie, standard floorpan used; was this the J-car?).
The 117 was built on a Florian floorpan.

elky
I live in: Qld

Post by elky »

well maybe i shouldn't tell of the florian for sale in sydney.....

but i guess u would already know of that one!

before my time, so i dont have any lust for them.....bellet's just scrap in, i do like the early 117 coupes but gemini's are my love (and piazza's to a lesser degree...much lesser)
Gem-wreck

wrecking gemini's, piazzas, early rodeo's and jackaroo's 0419021757

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

I didn't know of the Sydney Florian, but I tend not to be after Isuzu bits these days. Unless it's something special to get it to a new home, or at least stop it hitting the tip.
About the only interest I have is for a spare (larger) RH taillight for the second/later Florian released in Oz.

I did see the Florian G161 & gearbox for sale ($200; rec'd before obtaining the vehicle).

The Florians are pretty rare and hence can be a problem, but like the Belletts, Piazzas etc are generally VERY cheap to obtain and (hence) maintain.

My attraction to the Florian is that it's a better handler than the Belletts (GT included); is bigger than a Commodore internally; and is pre-ADR'74 (hence no need to meet EPA requirements and can fit any generation of engine).
And it takes the usual Isuzu performance gear like DOHCs etc much easier than the SOHC Geminis.

As someone once said about them - ugly, but a real nice sleeper!

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Ugly my butt, that blue one's one of the sexiest cars I've seen in ages. Not just cause of the paint and mags either, although I can't say I'm as much of a fan of the earlier shape of the red one.

What puts them above the Bellett in handling? I always thought the Belletts would corner pretty mean with the right gear!

But, wow, nice car, and it takes the twincams still. I'm not letting myself fall for another oldschool car, but they're awesome.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).