Piazza front brake conversion for TX - TG Gemini.

A forum for Twin Cam and G###W fitted vehicles specific chat

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Piazza front brake conversion for TX - TG Gemini.

Post by Poida »

Most of us know that the Isuzu/Holden Piazza front disc brake conversion is a simple and effective upgrade for a RWD Gemini. I have been doing a bit of research into the availability for replacement parts to suit these conversions.

Piazza Front Brake Parts

Disc Rotors (plain - not drilled or slotted) - $160-180 per pair (not a definite price at the moment)
Replacement Rotors (standard type not slotted or drilled)
Sit down and grip the chair tight. DBA make a rotor for the Piazza, well made one, they no longer list it in their latest online catalogue. They will not deal directly with the public. They sell all stock through a wholesale outlet.
I got quotes from Bursons for AU$200 per rotor and Repco quoted me AU$266 per rotor!
(I can see SimsMetal doing the best out of that deal.)
Now the relaxing part. My contact in the brake industry can source a different brand of standard replacement rotor. Anyone wanting replacement rotors, let me know.

Hub Bearings & Seal Kits - $40 (each hub)
Each single hub kit includes:
1 x inner bearing
1 X outer bearing
1 x bearing seal
1 x split pin (not shown in image)
1 x 60 gram bag of HTB grease (not shown in image)
1 x information and instruction page (not shown in image)

I have now purchased components to make up six hub kits and have them in stock.

Bendix Disc Pads - $60 (both front wheels)
The Bendix and Ferodo companies have discontinued production of the Piazza front disc pads. They no longer list them in their catalogues.
At the moment I can still get hold of DB380AD pads but there are limited numbers in stock and when they have been depleted, no more will be remanufactured. If anyone is wanting to buy a set (I'd suggest storing a set for future use) they will cost you AU$60 plus postage.
OEM 8944302400 superceded with 8943619500

Caliper repair kits - $50 per kit (not a definite price at the moment)
Caliper repair kits are still listed in the current PBR catalogue but it's likely they will also be deleted some time this year. The trend is usually for each supplier to follow the call of associated suppliers. The kits are part number K1481S for a minor repair kit. I have chased prices and these sell for around AU$50 for each kit. I still need to check that further and verify the price.

Flexible Brake Hoses - $45 each (including two new copper installation washers)

Postage is not included in these prices.
I need an advance payment and details of your location so I can estimate the postage cost to send them to you.

I'm willing to set up a buy for people but because all this stuff is special order, non stock items, all payments must be in advance prior to me placing an order.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

I would be keen but I don't like the idea of buying brakes for which pads are becoming obselete. Also, I know I ask stupid questions (see my sig) but would other brake assembly need to be changed to suit, e.g. calipers?

How would these compare to the Volvo brake conversion?
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

I'm certainly not trying to encourage people to race out and buy a Piazza front brake package as an upgrade for a Gemini. I realise it's a good match and easy to fit without needing any special changes but as you can see, finding stuff like I listed is only going to get harder from now on.

What I'm doing is letting everyone who already has this done (or people with Piazzas) know that the writing is on the wall so to speak. The parts I have mentioned are now listed as endangered, near extinct. I'm offering people a chance to grab what's left before it becomes land fill.

I've ordered my pad sets already so I'm not going to find myself with no pads in the future. I am looking at buying a new pair of disc rotors as well. Caliper repair kits are not likely to need doing ever again after I replace them once.

I have no experience with Volvo kits so I can't comment.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

UPDATE:

Wheel bearings and seals
The more I look the harder it gets. I need to replace at least one of the front wheel hub bearing seals too. Might as well replace the bearings while I'm there.

The bearings: No problem, bearing set #1 and bearing set #8, both off the shelf for about AU$12 each wheel.

The seal: Hmmm. No part listing in the bearing company catalogues. Genuine part number 8943264400 and guess what, NLA. So I'm now on another mission to chase up a suitable alternative seal. My local bearing bloke is doing his best to see if we can match up an alternative seal that will do the job. I'll have an answer on Monday.

If anyone has a contact where they can source the original bearing seals, old stock at a Holden dealers, grab the lot! At the very least post the contact details so everyone can snap a few up to keep a collection among the people who still may need them.

Replacement Flex Brake Hoses
I can get custom hoses made for $40 each if anyone wants to replace their old ones. Add postage as well.

elky
I live in: Qld

piazza brakes

Post by elky »

yeah it is hard to find these things...

as for the DBA rotors, i got new slotted ones and they just buy them in!!! mine were bought thru DBA but were acutally BREMBO's!!!!! i paid $250 each, if ur good at net surfing and have a c/card then it is easier to buy from the states and cheaper too!!

cheers
Gem-wreck

wrecking gemini's, piazzas, early rodeo's and jackaroo's 0419021757

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Welcome to the Twin Cam forum elky!

Gee, I hope for your sake when I buy these $150 a pair rotors they don't come in Brembo boxes! I know I'd be pissed to have found them jacked up to the max in price when they were not even made by DBA! Of course the ones you have are not just the standard rotors.

Everything I have listed (the prices) are the prices I've been quoted. Nothing has been marked up. I am only interested in offering everyone who wants to buy the essential components a chance to buy them in Australia at decent prices. By all means buy from overseas but the price of freight is where you willl come unstuck. Most sellers will only send by priority air mail and at premium prices. One other thing is I know the stuff I am sourcing is brands you know and trust WITH local warranty. Try sending back a set of crappy brand 'X' disc pads to the eBay seller...

Perhaps someone might like to post my ramblings on the OzGemini forum for the benefit of those who have chosen to go with the Piazza front brakes on their Gemini.

Knowing how many people have chosen the Piazza brakes for their Gemini cars I can imagine lots of people needing to find parts at some time in the future so best they plan ahead. Should they choose to not take advantage of the offer then in the future there might be lots of dirt cheap Piazza brake kits on the "for sale - parts" forum or I'll sell off the spare parts I buy at a tidy profit.

Code: Select all

Most of us know that the Isuzu/Holden Piazza front disc brake conversion is a simple and effective upgrade for a RWD Gemini. I have been doing a bit of research into the availability for replacement parts to suit these conversions. 

[u]Replacement Rotors[/u] (standard type not slotted or drilled)
Sit down and grip the chair tight. DBA make a rotor for the Piazza, well made one, they no longer list it in their latest online catalogue. They will not deal directly with the public. They sell all stock through a wholesale outlet. 
I got quotes from Bursons for AU$200 per rotor and Repco quoted me AU$266 per rotor! 
(I can see SimsMetal doing the best out of that deal.) 
Now the relaxing part. My contact in the brake industry can source a different brand of standard replacement rotor. The price I've been quoted is AU$150 per pair of rotors. Anyone wanting replacement rotors, let me know. 

I need an advance payment and details of your location so I can estimate the postage cost to send them to you. 

[u]Disc Pads[/u] (DB380)
The Bendix and Ferodo companies have discontinued production of the Piazza front disc pads. They no longer list them in their catalogues. 
At the moment I can still get hold of DB380AD pads but there are limited numbers in stock and when they have been depleted, no more will be remanufactured.  
[URL=http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=db380ad5do.jpg][img]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4001/db380ad5do.th.jpg[/img][/URL]
They cost me AU$50 per package. If anyone is wanting to buy a set (I'd suggest storing a set for future use) they will cost you AU$50 plus postage. 

[u]Caliper Repair Kits[/u]
Caliper repair kits are still listed in the current PBR catalogue but it's likely they will also be deleted some time this year. The trend is usually for each supplier to follow the call of associated suppliers. The kits are part number  K1481S for a minor repair kit. I have chased prices and these sell for around the AU*0 per kit mark. I think I can get these for about AU$70 for two kits. Need to check that further and verify the price.

I'm willing to set up a buy for people but because all this stuff is special order, non stock items, all payments must be in advance prior to me placing an order.

I'm certainly not trying to encourage people to race out and buy a Piazza front brake package as an upgrade for a Gemini. I realise it's a good match and easy to fit without needing any special changes but as you can see, finding stuff like I listed is only going to get harder from now on. 

What I'm doing is letting everyone who already has this done (or people with Piazzas) know that the writing is on the wall so to speak. The parts I have mentioned are now listed as endangered, near extinct. I'm offering people a chance to grab what's left before it becomes land fill. 

I've ordered my pad sets already so I'm not going to find myself with no pads in the future. I am looking at buying a new pair of disc rotors as well. Caliper repair kits are not likely to need doing ever again after I replace them once.

I have no experience with Volvo kits so I can't comment.

UPDATE:

[u]Wheel bearings and seals[/u]
The more I look the harder it gets. I need to replace at least one of the front wheel hub bearing seals too. Might as well replace the bearings while I'm there. 

The bearings: No problem, bearing set #1 and bearing set #8, both off the shelf for about AU$12 each wheel. 

The seal:  Hmmm. No part listing in the bearing company catalogues. Genuine part number 8943264400 and guess what, NLA. So I'm now on another mission to chase up a suitable alternative seal. My local bearing bloke is doing his best to see if we can match up an alternative seal that will do the job. I'll have an answer on Monday. 

If anyone has a contact where they can source the original bearing seals, old stock at a Holden dealers, grab the lot! At the very least post the contact details so everyone can snap a few up to keep a collection among the people who still may need them.

[u]Replacement Flex Brake Hoses[/u]
I can get custom hoses made for $40 each if anyone wants to replace their old ones. Add postage as well.

hotgemini_poida@hotmail.com

Of course you'll have to break it down into about 12 smaller posts so the simple minds can cope with it. :wink:

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

This is probably a stupid question, but can you run different calipers, and therefore different pads, with these rotors? I will legally need to upgrade front brakes to get my twincam engineered (don't know why, my Gem brakes are unusually good and have never got anywhere near their limit since I changed the fluid - much more stopping than the tyres can handle). I'm tossing up between the Volvo rotors I've heard about, and the Piazza brakes. The pads are still bugging me though. Hmmmm....
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Yes you can but it would require some fucking around with the caliper mounts and brake lines - not overly involving. The trick is to grab a combo that comes close to fitting with little work.

Apparently theres a certain Magna disc that pretty much bolts on with a certain Volvo caliper...pm F|sh on ozgemini.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

If you can manage to pick up a Piazza frond brake package it is a whole lot easier though. I do know Rodeo Bob is currently offering a complete set in good order. Perhaps give him a yodel. As for the brake pads, at the moment I can still get hold of them. If it worries you buy up a few sets to keep on hand. I can get most parts still so it isn't all over just yet.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

I'll figure it out later, lol.. But geez, I feel sorry for the Piazza owners if in future these pads become obsolete... Let alone the Piazza owners not on the forums, who don't know anyone to suggest alternatives.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

a friend of mine but commodore brakes on the front and back. he said it took a couple of test tries on stuff from the wreckers but when he got it sorted it pulled up like a dream.the best part was the parts are dirt cheap and there will allways be commodore parts.
The volvo magna arrangment sound like the go for me.

denny117
Probationary Member
Probationary Member
I live in: Act

Post by denny117 »

anyone tried the Hopper Stoppers brakes?

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Denny im putting a set on my Gemini, car wont be running for another 6months though so ill let you know then.
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph