remote shifter

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam transmissions...

Moderators: elky, Spaminator

bad 44u

remote shifter

Post by bad 44u »

how do you set the springs on the u bolts that hold the gear selector down.
tightened or loose?

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

medium
it really depends on what feel you like
tighten or loosen to your desire

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

thanks i thought so it's going to be hard to adjust once its in.
Ive got an auto gemini and im putting the manual with remote shifter in it looks like it will fit in the hole where the auto selector is anyone done this befor or do you still have to cut the tunnel.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

Try doing a dummy setup.

Take the TV out to the garage and sit it on a milk crate. About 2 metres in front of the TV, set up a gearbox so it's next to a nice comfy chair.

Tune into the ABC F1 racing or a Winton Supercar broadcast, set the volume at about 92db and start driving. If it doesn't feel right, into the pits and out with the spanner. After a few laps hammering around that track you'll soon figure out if you prefer it looser or tighter.

After you get it to 'feel' right, fit it to the car.
:roll:

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

i dont know if your taking the piss. my flatmates think im a freak laying under a car at 11at night in winter so that would definitely confirm it.must be all the petrol in the blood.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

I don't think they're taking the piss.
In fact I think there's a few subtle tips there - like "a few laps hammering ... looser or tighter"; and "into the pits ... with the spanner".

Granted, your flatmates have little need for a spanner due to a lack of nuts, and the hammer may be more effective on their heads.

Remember that it'll be cheap to bury them since you don't have to nail 'em. (I'm referring to their coffin(s) only - ie, How many nails in a Lesbian's coffin? - None, it's all tongue and groove.)

Regards from a (former?) Equal Employment Opportunity Officer.

Oops - I forgot to put "WITHOUT PREJUDICE" at the top of this reply...
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Regarding the spring tension, I have two assemblies and they are both set so that there is 10mm of thread remaining.

IE: In a "neutral" position, approx 50mm of U-bolt protrudes from underside of the assembly.
This consists of 34mm of spring + 2 nuts of 6mm (total) + 10mm free. (34+6+10=50mm).

Make sure you lock the nuts together. (Else use loctite if you've lost a nut.) LOL. And again, no nails. ROTFLMHO.

Hope this helps.

bad 44u

Post by bad 44u »

thanks that will get me started and i can go from there.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

I was being serious!

Isn't it more sensible to take the TV to the garage instead of take the gearbox into the lounge room on the carpet?

To get the 'feel' you have to use the box. Pointless fitting it then trying to stuff around under the car a dozen times only to find out you set the two nuts at uneven distances.

... besides, imagine the laughs we'll all get watching you on "Funniest Home Video" thrashing the milk crate around on the garage floor while imagining you are on a pseudo race track while watching F1 at full volume!

Priceless!!! :lol:

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Geez Poida,
I was gonna reply to say that the house has nice heating whereas a garage usually doesn't. (I assembled my Wasp's G161 OHV on the kitchen-ensuite's (dining room?) bench, and I could see the tele in the loungeroom to boot – not that I'd ever get distracted from the work of art transpiring before me!)

But in this case, you are completely right! It's worth trying the F1 test on any gearbox before it goes in – although shifting through gears might be difficult, and it won't feel the same as on the road. But it could show up certain gear & shift problems.

But – and this is where you are right again - the F1 test has to be in the garage for the atmosphere. A real car never feels like a lounge room.

(But maybe I'll still assemble stuff in the house. Then I have no excuse to not go into the shed.)

Thanks for another worthwhile tip.

And I want to see Funniest Home Videos with the imaginary "pit crew" member trying a 9 second wheel changes, or lighting a cigarette after an 11 second fuel dump.

Peter.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

I guess I'm just acclimatised to the garage idea. Seeing that I live in a factory... what's 'heating'??? :roll:

My heating consists of keeping the doors to the office/residence section closed so I don't lose the heat generated by the TV and the computers... well they are good enough to keep the chill off the room.

I really don't use heaters!

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Poida wrote:Isn't it more sensible to take the TV to the garage instead of take the gearbox into the lounge room on the carpet?
Ahh, so that's why I got evicted from my last unit! LOL, not kidding either.

Gotta love ambient computer/tv/human being heat. Although I'm guilty of using heaters too.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).