computer

If you are looking for something post your request here...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

grampstd
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

computer

Post by grampstd »

looking for a computer to run a twin cam 2l

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

What engine management components are you using?

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Looking for standard or aftermarket? Budget? User tunable?
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

grampstd
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by grampstd »

looking for sumthing to gat the car running its got a camira computer but its shit

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Is it a Delco Camira computer or a Bosch one?

grampstd
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by grampstd »

delco

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Have a look at the memcal inside the removable cover at the end of the computer. You can see a silver sticker with a code printed on it. Post that actual code that is written on the chip. First step is to see if the chip is even at all suitable for the application you have there.

What happens when you drive the car? Does it backfire through the exhaust when deccelerating? Do you have the ECU engine warning light set up to indicate any problems?

Odds are the Delco is just not set up right to begin with or it is in limp mode due to some problem that hasn't be rectified.

The 808 is realy a very functional system capable of what any other aftermarket EMS is in that application. It happens to be easy to get parts for and cheaper to set up. Biggest problem is learning all about how it operates. At the moment the best info is in the GM service manuals of cars running that system.

grampstd
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by grampstd »

not sure wat computer its got as i havent got the motor yet but it dose go to limp mode
ive got a bosh and the 808 computers sitting hear what has to be done to get the to operate every thing

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

I think you should get the engine in front of you to begin with. Speculating about what is best before actually knowing what it has fitted now is probably a bit premature.

It might be a perfectly good system with some simple to fix faulty component causing it to run in LHM. Many things can do that so for the sake of a bad isolated distributor earth to the HEI module (as just one simple example) you might spend a heck of a lot of time and money when you didn't really need to. Could be something as easy as a failed component or even a bad installation where someone wired a sensor up wrongly.

A little while ago, RodeoBob persuaded me to part with some dollars to buy a manual for some Isuzu vehicle. We were not quite sure what model it was but it turns out that it suits the Holden Jackaroo. All series from the beginning to the 90's EFI models. They use the I-TEC EFI system, similar to was is used on some of the G series twin cam engines. I'll study this manual and hopefully be able to offer some info on these injection systems.

Now RodeoBob being the observant type also spotted a Jackaroo located not far from me with some rear end damage that didn't make the reserve on eBay. He encouraged me to get onto the seller and see what sort of deal I can work out. A good one it turns out. I agreed to purchase the later model Jackaroo with 4ZE1 EFI engine for $250 without it's mags and tires.

I now have an I-TEC system to learn more about and a factory manual to go with it.

Gotta love RodeoBob! :wink:

UPDATE (14/03/06):
Because of my current work commitments, I didn't have time to race about trying to find replacement wheels and tires to suit. My mate and I went out with the tow truck and picked it up complete with it's mags (factory genuine) and near new tires. It cost me a total of $600. That's cool, I'll easily dispose of the FIVE mags with tires for way more than the extra $350 I paid for them. The car has pretty bad damge to the body shell and I'm not sure if I'll chase a replacement shell or just wreck it. It has factory cruise control, factory five door central locking, powder coated alloy bull bar, alloy side steps, front diff locks, adjustable Rola roof rack. It's the top of the line model and the car checked out clean with REVS! The engine runs sweet and the whole drive train appears to be in good order. Oh, because it has the 4ZE1 engine it also had rear disc brakes. Probably pushing my luck but because it's the top option model, it may also have an LSD rear axle.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Gramps if you don't mind me asking is this going in the wagon?

Welcome to my world (being lost with the ECU) lol...
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

grampstd
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by grampstd »

sure is going in the wagon

grampstd
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by grampstd »

the chip sivler sticker has
delco akfl 2168

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

An AKFL2168 chip is the correct chip for an early JE 2 litre port injected engine with a manual transmission. That chip was superseded because the engines pinged under certain load conditions. In the G series engine that may not happen or it might be worse. Can't really say how it will differ. The memcal should still get you running to a state where the car can be driven.

It should run the engine but not to it's full potential. If the engine can be road tested and you find it seems flat as well as popping through the exhause on deceleration then it's probably an indication it is only reading the resistor packs on the memcal, effectively in 'limp home' mode.

An easy way to quickly check this is to connect a timing light and see if the ignition mark moves when the engine is accelerated. If it stays static then it sounds like the timing is locked in the one spot. This more than likely indicates that the computer is not reading all signals as expected.

The next step is to check that all sensors are in place and connected as would have been in the original Camira application. Once you establish that, we move on to diagnostic procedures and identify what systems are faulted.

The EMS schematic for the JE 2.0L manual transmission engine is here. Use it to check all the connections are in place. You may need to adapt some components that have not been used in your application. Things like the VSS for instance. If the ECU is expecting a signal and it isn't there it may or may not ignore it. If it finds multiple things disconnected it might go into limp mode anyway even if the disconected item would not have caused limp mode to be activated on it's own.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Poida knows his stuff on the Delcos, and I'm sure you could figure something out with it. If you don't want to go down that path though, I just bought my MegaSquirt II in a kit (need to solder it up myself) with some sensors and a test circuit, allsorts of bits and bobs to tune it with, shipped for AU$711 including bank fees. Just a thought. MSI is cheaper again. www.diyautotune.com