My G200 Turbo EFI

The Delco 1227808 EMS...

Moderator: rodeobob

Mr_B
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

My G200 Turbo EFI

Post by Mr_B »

Hey there I thought I would just add my experience that I have had with my gem. It is a lift from the Kalmaker forum so forgive me if it is a bit of a read but I thought it might be appreciated just as much here. I am about to do a full shell rebuild for another gem and will post details gradually of that setup if people like this info.

Hope you enjoy this one.

NB: the other systems Poida mentions are also good too.

Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:21 pm
Hi all

Just thought that I would say that the Kalmaker is the best system that I have used ever. I have used the Haltech and Microtech computers and these simply don't cut it at all. The Kalmaker system is the best value and bang for buck anywhere, there isn't a system that works any better for the price. And the ease at which it is programmed when you get the software running... simply great!

I have only just got my little gem running and it isn't finished 100% yet but I have included a pic of what I have done.

Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:56 am

Hi Guys

Just a quick update. I have had the system in the car now for a few weeks just getting the tune right on the Kalmaker. Great software really got me moving on learning more about the EFI systems and stuff.

The car actually has the G161 stocker in it at the moment which is what you see in the photo as I have spent far too much on the G200 to put it in and have any sort of problem with the hardware. So The 1600 in there at the moment is really a test rig for any problems which could happen to the G200 which is a better option for saving me money in the long run. There have only been a couple of minor problems with cooling, electrical gremlins and wastegate control issues.

The wiring harness originally came from a Camira. When I got the harness I also got all the electrical sensors from it.

The TPS was from a later model Barina (seems to be the same as the Commodore only cheaper at Pick & pay less because it's off a Barina )

The IAC is from the Camira TB which was cut up then drilled threaded so I could attach hoses to it. Only used a hacksaw and small bench drill to get it to fit the threaded fittings for the hoses.

The dizzy is a standard G series Gemini dizzy with RB internals. This is the same setup I used with all my Gems to have breakerless ignition for under $10. Works quite well instead of the Camira pickup, alot easier to install.

I have had the car for 5 Yrs now and is a great daily driver except that the G161 is extreemly tired Just about to the point that it wouldn't start with the standard Carby. There was literally no power left, on full tilt the top speed I could do was only 95Kph... really dead if you ask me.

So the idea was to get the computer and turbo setup with this old motor whilst it was still running and get any gremlins out of the setup before the brand spanker went in.

It took me 2 weeks to wire it in, get the turbo exhaust made up and fitting the EFI manifold into the car. I did all the inital tests with the stock Camira computer to make sure all wiring was ok, and that there was no faults with the standard sensors. All checked out ok and plugged in the Kalmaker. Hit the key and she fired into life without complaining like it usually did. It used to take quite a bit to get her going with the original setup. Followed all the instructions and forgot the basic program settings as I had setup the computer on my desktop. I went and bought myself a new laptop computer to do the tuning and couldn't remember where the settings for the graphics were. There was alot of reading and re-reading so I sent an email off to ask where the setting was... Well no sooner did I send it I found the setting and was underway with the inital tune.

Just rounded out the VE table for boost and took her for a spin, got half way down the driveway gave a little squeze on the throttle and she died I found that it was the fuse for the fuel pump. I replaced the fuse with a larger 20amp fuse as the original was a 15amp. Jumped back in and drove off again. Got to the end of the driveway waited for some cars to go past and the attempted to pull out onto the road. Gave it a little throttle and she died again . well I had to go back to the shed and get another fuse... bit of a walk back to the shed so I thought I would grab a handfull fuses. Two 25 and two 45 amp fuses, that sould do.

Well got back to the car and wacked in the 25 amp fuse started the car started her up and took off reall slow so she didn't get on boost. Well worked just fine got to sixty klicks and she died again... by now I wasa fair bit away from the shed and I was thinking that there was a problem with the wiring so I went through the fule pump circuit with the multi and found no problems, I then thought that there was a problem with somt of the original car wiring near the AC cut switch which is on the accelerator pedal, so I pulled the plug and put in another 25amp fuse. Took off slow again and she died again. Arrrgh only got the 45amp fuses left, put one in and gave it a little stick in neutral, no problems. Went to move off again like normal and she died instantly... well there was only one more solution... drive real slow back to the shed and change the the fuel pump.

After getting the pump changed I tried to go for a drive again. I was hoping that the fuse problem was fixed... well it was. when I pulled out onto the road and put my foot down well I got something I really didn't expect from the old girl. The old dead motor got a whiff of the boost and just instantly went to the limiter... whoo hooo... looked for the next gear and feed a little more into the throttle and she did the same, wasn't even getting to 40% from what the TPS was saying. Damn this has got to be a good thing. Well I got to 5th gear and the gave her everything and the speedo went off the dial. This is something new for this car as it had never been over 140 as the motor never had it in her to go any faster. You can imagine the grin I had from this then.

I then spent the next hour or so just cruising from town to town tweaking and enjoying the new found power. After about an hour and a half I decided to go back home. On the way home I was following one of those new Commodore SS V8's. We came to a large hill to climb and I thought since there is two lanes and everything seems to be ok with the engine I would give it a bit going up the hill. Well the SS saw me comming and put the foot down fumes started pouring out the back and I could hear the induction from the eight as it started to breath heavy. Well I got up next to him and the turbo started to kick in and started to pull really hard the sweet sound of the eight was way louder than my 4 banger but I kept on pulling away from him up the hill, you guys should have seen the look of confusion on the face of the driver He had his eight flat to the boards and I was getting away from him up this hill Well he followed me all the way home trying to get past me every oppotunity he could. Well he never had enough to get past me at all. I didn't cause him any problems by being in the way or anything. He started to have a big grin on his face when he worked out what was going on.

In any case I am over the moon about the setup. I now have in my car even with the dead motor. I will be putting in the 2L motor during my holiday over christmas. During the last week I have been driving it around, the car has become more than 25% better on fuel. I am not spending more on fuel at all. I was expecting to spend more on fuel due to the turbo and me with my driving but the opposite is the case and the dead motor is going the strongest it ever has. Easy to start and beautifully smooth to drive.

When I have the 2L installed I will get a run on a dyno and attach the dyno results here. Also worked out that the TPS for camira which are the reverse of the Commodore and Barina are all black and the other ones have white plastic backing on them.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:00 am

Well I finally got enough together to get the thing tuned to the base setting and run on the dyno. The gem was running PULP and a boost of only 10psi. This is the base setting for the car and the power figures are reasonable for the car. The pic below is the dyno results at the rear wheels. Not too shabby at the base setting.

Mark at Injection Perfection did the tune and was fantastic to deal with. I would recommend him to be the person to tune your car here in Sydney. Mark really knows his stuff when tuning the Kalmaker.

The car is now home and the finishing touches are being finalised in the engine bay. I am using the boost control now which is setup for 3 Bar operation so it is a vast bit different in power output from the base setting. It wasn't setup for the run on the dyno but Mark has programmed it all in ok.

I haven't had the car back long enough to be able to get any figures for fuel consumption yet but will be testing this out very closely as the Kal switch will be setup to run with my Ozone link from the dizzy and running the Hydroxy Fusion unit. I am expecting to be able to run at least 75% less fuel with 30% more power over PULP in this running mode. Hopefully the gas production is high enough to be able to get at least 40 - 55% throttle at 60psi for cruising. It can run the boosted mode at 100% throttle but only for short runs. The Kalmaker is the perfect solution to be able to run in this mode because of the program switch feature. Love it !

All in all I am extreemly happy with the Kalmaker and will be installing this into my other 2 gems and commodore. I have a 2L twin cam Isuzu 2DR sedan, a 1.5 Turbo RB and an EFI 3.3 Wagon. The twincam runs a standard 2L camira ECU at the moment which works ok but the NOx levels are a bit high without the EGR connected so I am hoping that this will be improved. I may run it with a similar setup to my one above just to get the cylinder temps down. The 1.5 runs a Haltech and is a bit of a pig off the mark and the Commodore is great except that the program steps are really obvious with the Motec. I will be selling these off as soon as I get the Kalmaker into these cars.

I can't tell you how pleased I am with the Kalmaker but I guess you could say that I am 100% behind the Kalmaker. Best thing I found on the net for the car.

PS. The Red Gem does have an intercooler on it. It is 1100X500X60 which is in front of the radiator and behind the front grill and just fits so you would never know it was there.

MR_B 8)

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

Just curious, is that red TG Gemini an ex diesel model??

Mr_B
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Mr_B »

:D
nope, But there is alot of diesel stuff in there tho.
BB
8)
//

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Got any pics of the TPS? Very interested...
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

Very Nice Mr B

Mr_B
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Mr_B »

Hey there.

Well the motor has been out again as the clutch just didn't cope with the little bit of extra power over standard. I did have an Ultra heavy duty clutch kit installed from PBR which the rep recommended but as you can see it basically didn't hold much more than 100 HP. So I have had to pull the whole thing out again to change the pressure plate. I now have an 800Kg genuine Isuzu truck plate which I hope will cope a bit better now. I guess the power figure won't be dropping the curve after it hits 100HP on the dyno like above.
pics of the TPS?
While it's apart here is the pics. The plate is aluminium sheet which comes from a Charade ignition mounting bracket which is perfect size for trimming up to mount the TPS from the Commodore or Barina (Camira ones are for the opposite side of the throttle and are all black) This is attached to the aluminium plate with a rubber grommet from a firewall to stop water and dust getting into the TPS.

ImageImage

Below is pics from the Idle control valve which has been removed from the Throttle body of a Camira. Basically it is cut off using a hack saw and the ends of the inlet and outlet trimmed flat and then tapped to take a screw fitting from the brake booster inlet adapter from a standard carby manifold. The hoses are from some of the original pipes from the original Gemini Idle control valve switch. It is then fitted to the same place as the original ICV. When Cutting the valve off the Camira throttle body I left one of the TPS mounts on so as to screw to the same place as the Ignition module under the EFI manifold.

ImageImage

Hope this helps out for Ya All. :)

B 8)