My twin cams

Tell us about your engine...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

-elky-

My twin cams

Post by -elky- »

where do i start?

1> my zz/r sedan g180w, looks and runs pretty standard has extractors tho gotta do the chain and tensioner tho

2> Race g180w taken to 2litre, quad 40mm throttle bodies, stainless valves, balanced to the hilt, haltech injection ecu, big arse leads, forged pistons, high energy sump, the bottom end is fully rebuilt and wrapped up, we just gotta prep the head now and plonk it on, a bolt went into no 4 and did some damage hence the rebuild by the previous owner. it came out of a gemini sports sedan (coupe) and made a conservative 100rwkw with a imposed 7000rpm limit for reliablity, mind you it also have a stock exhaust manifold and cams!!!! i have a box of play cams here kindly donated by four plus performance b4 they closed, and some proper tuned length extractors, i have sold this set-up to a mate who will b fitting it to a TD coupe....i reckon 120rwkw is realistic after the porting of the head

3> g200w in a race coupe, was supposed to b rebuilt but dunno, the sump is leaking badly enough to not wanna start it so i will rip it out first, also has a custom intake with twin 40mm dellorto's

4> g180w in pieces has a spun bearing on the crank but complete

5> g180w block with a few bits (spare for the race motor)

6> g180w complete motor, has a crack in the block from being dropped and missing some welsh plugs condition unknown at this point

7> g200w complete out of a 117 coupe dunno condition as i got it from a importer

8> g200w in a TE sedan (gemibabes) has a custom intake with a small weber, goes well but would really kick arse with twins or injection

i now have a good set-up for testing the motors using the single weber set-up off the te , now i just gotta start testing!!!

i am still trying to chase down full gasket sets, i have EVERY single part no for the twin cam here and exploded view diagrams of the g180w

there you go

oh hail king of the twin cams!!!!
TBA

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

Wanna forward the "part numbers for the twin cam and exploded view diagrams of the g180w" so it can be posted for all to reference? Make life easier having any documents to refer to. I can't find any online but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

While on the subject elky, (may ahve already mentioned it) do you have one of the original G180W flap type air flow meters not being used? It's the part that's holding me back from running my twin cam. I need to at least try one that I know is right so I can find any other faults in the system. I know for sure it has been tampered with. The engine runs but idle speed is high and it's really pumping lots of fuel into it. Like it's running flat throttle.

-elky-

info

Post by -elky- »

yeah i would like to but at this point being on dial-up means 3 days off stuffin around, when i get broadband i will do it but as we are on a pair gain system here i can't broadband yet!1 :cry:

yeah i got no airflow meters dude, you could convert to a map sensor using the delco ecu tho
TBA

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

That might be the option I go with elky. Not the preferred one but possibly the easiest one.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Wow :shock:

.. What format are the parts numbers in? Or are they on paper? Text doesn't take long to put anywhere but if it's written down and you'd have to scan it then that's completely understandable - I share the 56k curse.

I'll know who to talk to if I need spares!

... Speaking of which, got a spare flywheel? lol
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

-elky-

flywheels

Post by -elky- »

yeah am short on that stuff !!!

try a sohc one, the bolt spacing is right but i haven't tried to fit one yet
TBA

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Scanning can be tedious but not impossible. I scanned the complete 900+ pages of the Piazza manual!

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

DAMN :shock:

I'll grab a G180 or G200 one I reckon, cheers.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Get the G200 one, its bigger meaning better clutch/better power handling.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

Jay Dee
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Re: flywheels

Post by Jay Dee »

-elky- wrote:yeah am short on that stuff !!!

try a sohc one, the bolt spacing is right but i haven't tried to fit one yet
I have a couple of G200Z (SOHC) "Fidanza" alloy flywheels and have tried them on the G200W (DOHC) crankshaft and they fit exactly.

Now I can upload pics - here is the proof. DOHC flywheel lock ring placed over SOHC "Fidanza" alloy flywheel:
JD
CHCH, NZ

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Thanks, Jay Dee, given me some peace of mind.

Any updates Elky?

Jay Dee
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Alloy Flywheels

Post by Jay Dee »

The "Fidanza" alloy flywheels are for sale BTW.
They have a hardened steel (replacable!) insert on the clutch friction surface, a ring gear fitted and come with new clutch cover bolts.
My Piazzas are autos and I have abandoned ideas of converting to manual gearbox - can't find any good ones!
$A625 plus about $A40 Air Mail postage - will charge exact postage when the parcel is weighed at the Post Shop as a couple of grammes past the price break can move a parcel into the next price bracket.
Anyone interested? PM me!
JD
CHCH, NZ