G200Z, trouble finding parts and knowledge

Tell us about your engine...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

slodeo85
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

G200Z, trouble finding parts and knowledge

Post by slodeo85 »

Hello, i'm at a brick wall tryin to find parts for my G200Z on the net, i would like some info on cams and carb kits to suit. I have recently blown a head gasket and have the head off at the moment, i was thinking about shaving the head abit further to give it some more comp too. I would love some input from people who have done or know which way i should head with these motors. cheers

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

This is predominantly a twincam forum, though many here play with the SOHC Zs too.
Or do you mean G200W (twincam)? But G200Ws never had carbies.

If SOHC G200Z, try holdengeminiNet.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

slodeo85
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by slodeo85 »

no tis a z, i have try'd gem net, no luck there. Since my post i have had the head shaved, sent the cam away for a regrind, not too sure how that will go, and im trying to find a single weber kit (found one through the gem site). could be a laugh or plenty of flames. This is the best site i can find tha t has decent info on my motor. When did the twin cams come out?? cheers for the news jergun

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

The twincams preceded the Zs - from late 1960s to mid 1980s.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Sometimes people on the site can be douches, but www.ozgemini.com does have a pretty decent store of knowledge on the Z engines, as they're most commonly used in Geminis.

I personally recommend a G161Z head on a G200Z, it raises the compression to 10.5:1. You will need to run 98RON fuel then however (possibly 95). Use a good quality graphite head gasket, or a copper one (use a good sealant like threebond agent 1207B for copper, get head+block smooth and even consider o-rings)... Hone the bores, bed the rings in HARD at first, and you'll have a great high comp engine, with half decent efficiency.

I'd go either a single 45mm or twins if you're serious about power, although I'm only going to use a 32/36 as I'm a tight-ass. EFI is always preferable in my books though. Go electric ignition by modifying the components of an RB Gemini's dizzy into the SOHC dizzy, there's some info on this on OzGem, it gives you a way bigger spark. Once you've done that you can get some hotter burning plugs and open the gap up a little more even.

Set the timing right, consider getting a lower end balancing. The porting's gonna help, as well as the big cam, although make sure you get valve springs to match. While the head's off, consider getting it pressure tested (for sealing) and even consider fitting bigger exhaust valves, I believe Ford Telstar valves can be modified to suit, again there's some info on OzGem about that.

If you do all that you should have one hell of an engine :) but any more power and you'd have to go with a crazy fuel, or forced induction. Have fun.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

slodeo85
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by slodeo85 »

thankyou archangel62, best help to date. I put my head back on the other day, the blokes at the head shed took 10 thou off and said it was near its limit as it had been done once or twice before, pressure test was done at the same time. I got a set of monotorque gaskets, and was told not to use 3bond. Cam should be back early next week. The single weber kit will set me back 400. I am pretty sure i will be doing a ground up rebuild in the next couple of months because i want to paint aswell. thank you for the info, the gem site is good. ill let ya know if she pops