GEM'S Twin cam setup

Tell us about your engine...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

gem

GEM'S Twin cam setup

Post by gem »

Hi there all,
I thought I might add some info on my race Gemini coupe.
The engine is a G200w with forged pistons, custom cams with 490thou lift and lots of duration. Stainless steel custom valves, quad 45mm throttle bodies and Autronic fuel injection.
The engine is good for around 200hp it revs to 8500rpm.
I have noticed a few people quoting 140kw @wheels power out of these twin cams but I doubt it. My head flows almost 200hp and there is no more in it. My new engine is a 3SGE toyota engine due to this engine being able to flow at least 270hp through the head.
I will try to post a picture when I read the how to guide on adding photos.
gem.

gem

Post by gem »

Here is a picture of my engine.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

those trumpets look so sexy

do you sock them?

gem

Post by gem »

Hi Robbo,
I run a Big filter that has 4 holes for the trumpets. The last thing I need is to suck in dirt if I spin off the track.

How did you go with the rings?

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

I was hoping you'd do something... was thinking you'd be crazy to drive it without even socking it! hehe

They would sound awesome under full throttle, wish I lived nearby.

Haven't chased anything up about rings, won't until I at least get the engine running and see how I go. All I have to get for the engine to run now is a trigger wheel and VR sensor for my Crank Angle Sensor. Then wire and set up the computer (once it arrives).

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

That's hot! Isn't there any way for the head to have higher flow?
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

gem

Post by gem »

The valves are as big as you can fit. The ports have been modified. The lift is very high. You might spend a $1000 on a flow bench again for maybe a 10-15hp gain. A 16 valve head will flow so much more due to the valve area. One thing to remember just because it doesn't have as much power as a sr20 or other 2.0lt 4cyl N/A engines does not mean it is no good. I race against lots of cars and it does a very good job. :lol:

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

gem wrote:The valves are as big as you can fit. The ports have been modified. The lift is very high. You might spend a $1000 on a flow bench again for maybe a 10-15hp gain. A 16 valve head will flow so much more due to the valve area. One thing to remember just because it doesn't have as much power as a sr20 or other 2.0lt 4cyl N/A engines does not mean it is no good. I race against lots of cars and it does a very good job.
Ive seen/been told of ~220-230hp with manifolds, i think it was Dennys engine. Best ask him what and how.

As always, its like a tradesman. A good tradesman can do good work with shit tools, the better tools only aid. Guess its the same with power.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

gem

Post by gem »

My new engine which is a toyota 3sge has a head that flows 270hp and there is still a lot more in it,you will never get the isuzu engine to make that sort of power. But I will always have a soft spot for the isuzu engine.

-elky-

motors

Post by -elky- »

yeah they are pretty good, considering the age!!!!

long live the twin cam G series!!!! (also the twin-cam 4x series) :lol:
TBA

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Darn tootin'. And for my G180W I paid about a quatre of what I'd have paid for a CA18DE.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

And I take it you have already sold this mighty fine g200w then?
1979 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon G200W
1982 Isuzu Gemini Wagon G161

gem

Post by gem »

I still have the engine sitting at home. I have not tried to sell it. A few people I race with have asked but until I can be sure that the 3SGE engine is good and I have a spare I will keep the isuzu twin cam just incase. You can never have too many spare engines :lol:

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

And plus, it's a G-series twincam! For a time I was contemplating selling the Gem, but I didn't because I love this engine too much. It's the sort of thing I'd enjoy working on even if I had a car that sh*ts all over the Gem.

rodeobob

Post by rodeobob »

gem wrote:I still have the engine sitting at home. I have not tried to sell it. A few people I race with have asked but until I can be sure that the 3SGE engine is good and I have a spare I will keep the isuzu twin cam just incase. You can never have too many spare engines :lol:
Your full of crap. Its going in your road Gemini once youve got the 3SGE sorted isnt it????? :wink:

Bob.

gem

Post by gem »

If I had a road Gemini :( My road cars are a VX wagon and a new Vectra so I doubt that the twin cam would suit either. I do have another race car rusting away in my back yard, I would love to turn this back into a road/club spint car- maybe in my next lifetime I will have the time to do this.

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Have you thought about getting a $400 pos with a wrecked engine?