Harvos G180W is on the road

Tell us about your engine...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob

harvo

Harvos G180W is on the road

Post by harvo »

Where to start? Well it looks flash but is more or less standard :( done the basics rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, and had the head checked out all seems good. Polished intake/exaust ports and intake manifolds stainless cold air intake and pod filter custom head gasket made. Standard exaust manifold with custom collector in to 2.25" straight through exaust/canon mufler. Have lots of photos on web at cardomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/613904
Last edited by harvo on 01 Mar 2007, 20:56, edited 3 times in total.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Nice, I'm surprised to say that I love the red and gold painted engine, I love the stock silver and blue but that turned out really nice. How much did you spend restoring and rebuilding the engine? I take it you didn't have any success whatsoever with the sump gasket? Mine's ripped...
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

harvo

Harvo's G180W

Post by harvo »

I did'nt really keep track of the dollars (if my wife new how much i'd really spent she'd kill me lol) at a rough gestimate about
$1200.00 complet motor & box (almost) + freight from Melbourn-Lithgow
$30.00 for various types of gasket material(DIY gasket kit)
$150.00 to have head gasket made of the origional
$80.00 for ACL piston ring set
$150.00 for hone,balance,head & block re-faced mild port polish general inspection
$140.00 for tail shaft new yoke on old shaft machining,welding balancing new uni's
$160.00 for RPM heavy duty clutch & presure plate
$70.00 for a pod fillter (off ebay)
$30.00 s/steel intake (2.50" exaust pipe)
$10.00 aluminium for air box
$10.00 to have valve cover wet blasted
$ 50.00 worth of degreaser & wire brushes
$40.00 worth of VHT presure pack
$1220.00 microtech LT8S ecu
The look on my neighbours face's after I smoke it up at 3am priceless :twisted:
Things i forget to add before
$230.00 fuel pump/filters
$60.00 EFI fuel hose/clamps
$beer for mate to cut fabricate weld for relocated shifter
$100.00 reverse light switch (genuine)
I think thats about it for now
Last edited by harvo on 10 Jun 2006, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

That doesn't seem too bad to me. I saw heaps of zeros and shit and I was thinking whoa.. but as far as paying for things goes, its pretty reasonable.
Wives just don't understand :twisted:
1979 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon G200W
1982 Isuzu Gemini Wagon G161

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Hahah, that's roughly how my list's looking, but I'm going MegaSquirt II for $700 :)
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

archangel62 wrote:Hahah, that's roughly how my list's looking, but I'm going MegaSquirt II for $700 :)
haha i got motec for my twin cam and the whole car with heaps of extras only cost me 1500 hehe sorry just wanted to rub it in lol
oh and the box had been recond and new clutch

harvo

Bastard!!!

Post by harvo »

Thanks for rubing it in :cry: . thats what i should have done brought something some one else put in the time and money to build. 3yrs and how-ever many thousands of dollars and I'll still probably get blown away by a standard bomadore. (but at least i'll look good doing it) How dose it drive with after market ecu? ok for crusing round town or more like a race car. just thought of a few more things for my list.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

mikuni

Re: Bastard!!!

Post by mikuni »

harvo wrote:Thanks for rubing it in :cry: . thats what i should have done brought something some one else put in the time and money to build. 3yrs and how-ever many thousands of dollars and I'll still probably get blown away by a standard bomadore. (but at least i'll look good doing it) How dose it drive with after market ecu? ok for crusing round town or more like a race car. just thought of a few more things for my list.
I'd rather drive a slow g200w car than a fast 'bomadore'.. eww. I can't wait to get one revving aye. Very much look forward to it, and I'm sure all the minimal trouble is always worth it to have something thats different to everyone else.
1979 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon G200W
1982 Isuzu Gemini Wagon G161

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

i havnt actually ever driven it i bought it with a rod through the side lol

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Hahahhh, the truth comes out :P

An aftermarket ECU could only improve the driveabilty - seeing as you tune it yourself you could even tune it as it was factory if you were so inclined.

harvo

Post by harvo »

My rodeo's finally in the workshop geting the microtech LT8S fitted. It Should be running in a few weeks, just have to wire in a BOSCH camira style igniter to dizzy, lock the advance mechanisium and remove the vacume advance from the side. The work shop had the Dyno Dynamics demo unit van parked out front :D It will hopefuly be up and running in time to tune my ute. Stay tuned
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

archangel62 wrote:Hahahhh, the truth comes out :P

An aftermarket ECU could only improve the driveabilty - seeing as you tune it yourself you could even tune it as it was factory if you were so inclined.
no if can improve all aspects factory they are tuned for emissions and economy not for power etc etc

harvo

Post by harvo »

got a phone call from my mechanic sat morning 15/7/06 saying he couldn't start the engine cause timing was out. Me being me and thinking the worst I thought I'd have to pull the front of the motor off to find/fix what I'd done wrong but all we had to do was move the timing chain back one tooth on each cam sprocket re-asembled cam cover/intake and the beast fired up first turn of the key. With a couple of ajustments he had it puring like the Lithgow panther. Only took 3 years but it's finally up and running
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Bradlze wrote:
archangel62 wrote:Hahahhh, the truth comes out :P

no if can improve all aspects factory they are tuned for emissions and economy not for power etc etc
Mm but I mean hypothetically it couldn't make things any worse :)

Good to hear the things started! What's it sound like lol

harvo

Post by harvo »

How's everyone doin? I ain't been on here for a while i thought the forum might have been gone for good, glad it's not though. You guy's have been really helpfull in getting my toy up and running.Have done a bit latelly so i thought i might put up some pic's

Last edited by harvo on 01 Mar 2007, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

If it overheats, paint the radiator black!
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

harvo

Post by harvo »

why would it over heat if the radiators not black? not being a smart arse just curious. I got it rego'ed this week but have only limped it from home/mechanics/rta cause it hasn't been on the dyno yet, seems to hold it's temp fairly steady which is a good thing but will see how it goes.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

That must feel awesome! Mine's nearly ready too. I can't wait.

If you got new rings, remember to bed them in ASAP. I'm not even gonna start mine when it's in there, or maybe once to check electrical system, but I'm just gonna take it straight to the dyno place and have them bed the rings in, and tune it.

The ute looks awesome! Although I'm not such a fan of the checkerplate on the rear arches, or the mags, but front bar and paint (and engine bay) look hot as!!

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

harvo wrote:

Black (mat) is the best color to radiate heat. Light & reflective surfaces are the worst.
Many hot-rodders used to chrome-plate their radiators until they found overheating problems (and the chrome made things brittle so they'd also crack up - as may bikers found when they chromed spokes etc).

You may have sufficient cooling through conduction, but don't underestimate how much heat is dissipated through radiation.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.