Post by mikuni »

I'm very envious...
1979 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon G200W
1982 Isuzu Gemini Wagon G161

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

hahah why you guys over there would prob get heaps more twin cams than over here lol im trying to beat elky but think hes got 2 or 3 more :(

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Whend u get the JR130 DOHC Piazza brad? I thought your JR130's were SOHCs?

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

*cries*
*goes and looks at G180W sitting on bedroom floor in bits*
*cries some more*

Lucky bugger.. :P
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

GeminiCoupe wrote:Whend u get the JR130 DOHC Piazza brad? I thought your JR130's were SOHCs?

Nick-
its not its a 120 some silly bugger decided to take out the turbo and put a twin cam in it lol this was the guy in perth that left to go to texas if you remember it was mentioned on the piazza site
but yeah it hasnt got a torque tube but the bastard is auto?
i never knew the twin cams were ever auto?
and yeah hmm not much to tell it was covered in reb backs and such when i went to look at it and now its sitting in storage up bush lol
ooh got another twin cam haha if anybody can remember john dohc_tf sold his twin cam and a guy called alan bought it lol some sensots or something ahs stuffed up so he was elling it and i bought it haha :lol:

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

Well done. Nah i had a twincam and sold it, i actually had to but one was auto, which aren't worth mucking around with as you can't get gearboxes for them (pretty much). Heaps are actually auto. And they seemed to have dried up now that I have sold my one and am looking for another!

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Bradlez wrote:its not its a 120 some silly bugger decided to take out the turbo and put a twin cam in it lol this was the guy in perth that left to go to texas if you remember it was mentioned on the piazza site
but yeah it hasnt got a torque tube but the bastard is auto?
Why the fook would anyone want to do that? If its a JR120 chances are its an Aus-delivery once hence no torque tube rear end. Which is abit of a blessing. What you going to do with that one? Have you even got any of your Piazzas running yet? If you do you owe us some pics.
mikuni wrote:Well done. Nah i had a twincam and sold it, i actually had to but one was auto, which aren't worth mucking around with as you can't get gearboxes for them (pretty much). Heaps are actually auto. And they seemed to have dried up now that I have sold my one and am looking for another!
You CAN get boxes for them. Granted they arent on every corner [particularly in your side of the ditch] but its possible to find them. One sollution is to get a C series rodeo bellhousing and bolt a G series SOHC Gearbox to it. Ie. remove the front half/bellhousing off the SOHC box and bolt it to the C series bellhousing. Problem solved.

Nick-

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

GeminiCoupe wrote: One sollution is to get a C series rodeo bellhousing and bolt a G series SOHC Gearbox to it. Ie. remove the front half/bellhousing off the SOHC box and bolt it to the C series bellhousing. Problem solved.

Nick-
Really!? That is VERY interesting news. I'm not quite sure if I understand/believe you. haha. So am I confused or are you saying that the bellhousing off a 4zc1 rodeo will bolt up to a g200w?
And, if this is the case, why not use a 4zc1 gearbox? Is the input shaft diameter and clutch facebolt pattern different? I'd assume it would be. I didn't even know g200 boxes had a removable bellhousing.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

The internals of the different MSG boxes are more or less the same except for some ratio differences. Providing the shafts are the same diameter and they are both equal in the gear numbers, forur speeds only mate with forur speeds etc., the casing can be taken off one box and used on another. That fixes problems like starters on the wrong side and different clutch actuating setups. There can be some differences like the bolt patterns for the front bearing cover but you'll generally find all the holes are there and threaded where needed even if they were not used.

When pulling apart an MSG box, you secure it in a vise by the rear bearing carrier plate and the front and back covers come off in opposite directions. The complete box internals remain attached to the bearing carrier plate.

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

Oh I see now. So its a matter of changing the front casing of the gb rather than un-bolting the bellhousing. Sorry I'm kinda new to Isuzu gb's, I'm not sure if your familier with toyotas w and t series, they all unbolt straight from the bellhousing so almost all the gearboxs are interchangable to an extent.
In this case, since its possible to use other gb's in place of a standard g200w one, are there any in particular that are stronger? Maybe a rodeo 2.6 one? And does that trick still work with this? (whats MSG?)

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

The C series bellhousing is an actual Rodeo Diesel C223 [i *think*] engine for example. Its not a 4ZC1 or E1, but you *might* as Poida said be able to mate this with the DOHC or C series bellhousing. I know for sure that a C series bellhousing mates with the SOHC box.

Nick-

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Yep I agree wuth that. I recently sold a Rodeo G200Z box that was being fitted in a diesel Rodeo with a C series diesel in it. I know the housing was a simple swap in that case.

The way I know of it is this:

4F series, 4Z series and G???Z series are all interchangable with the starter on the drivers side.

C series diesel and G???W series engines are interchangable with the starter on the passenger side of the box.

As far as I am aware you can swap main housings (which include the integrated bellhousing) as per what I said earlier.

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

Poida wrote: C series diesel and G???W series engines are interchangable with the starter on the passenger side of the box.
Thats perfect. Thats the bit of info I'm after right there. Thanks for that. I was always under the impression that there were no other options.

So I can get a gearbox from a 2.2L (?) Diesel Rodeo? and it should work sweet. Has anyone tried it (input shaft, clutch plate matching etc)?

Is anyone aware if these boxes are remote shifter? Might save me the hassle of changing the g200w box from remote, I don't like it down by the handbrake.

-elky-

boxes

Post by -elky- »

if u don't like the remote shifter i will swap ya for a stocker!!! :lol:

hey bradlze how many w's u got?

i got

2 piazza g200w's out of the car
1 117 coupe g200w
1 race g180w
1 complete parts g180w
1 g180w block
1 g200w still in the car

and a complete jr130 import piazza with g200w and auto just outta reg
and my zz/r sedan

so thats 9 twincams!!!!! sold one early this year so i have had 10

plus the boxes shifters etc

does that make me the twin cam king????? :lol:
TBA

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

All the G???W series were that remote shifter as far as I'm aware. The diesel boxes can have a forward mount (same as Gemini) or a column shift setup. These images are of the column shift four speed box behind a C190 diesel engine.

Image Image

I'm seriously contemplating using one of my spare G161Z engines with a five speed box and this column remote linkage gear in my 1975 Totota Hilux tray. At least getting bits will be a pinch with the Isuzu engine and box in place of the 12R and it's half bell housing abortion of an idea four speed box. Can't get a five speed to fit and it revs it's tits off at 100km/h. I drove to Bundy and back in it and that was enough. Be way quieter, more comfortable and probably more economical with a five speed. At least it won't feel like it wants to fly apart the whole way!

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

Two of toyota most renown gearboxs will bolt up to this. I'm sure you will have a w40 at the moment? If not you can still change to a w50/w51 steel case or an alloy w55. They all came on r and t series and will certainly fit a 12r. Or even better just get an entire 18r-g engine. 2.0L Twincam, twin sidedraft.

But..... we're talking isuzu here ay.... :)