Delco Dramas

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Greengem20B

Delco Dramas

Post by Greengem20B »

Hello all,

Delco 808 twin cam wont start, cranks but doesnt fire up...

What sensors does the Delco 808 rely on when starting up? Have spark and fuel pressure at injector rail, and the timings OK

All Ive done is replace the O2 sensor since the last time it started and drove 6 weeks ago, the car has sat in garage untouched ever since now wont fire up.

Put new CTS on yesterday but still no start, diagnostic plug needs sorting as CEL is continually lit once put into diagnostic mode...can make out faint flashes but cant make out any codes which makes life harder

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Todd.

antus
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Delco Dramas

Post by antus »

Sorry for the months late reply, only saw it just now, but I suggest doing the high speed comms mod to the ecu and running ose12p from here http://delcohacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=356

Then with a laptop and an FTDI brand usb->serial interface you can get all the info you need out of it for diagnostics.

I gather Im probably too late to help, but if your still around and still need help with this PM me or visit us at delcohacking for a quick response.

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

Thanks for the reply, and the link, I need to learn more on the Delco as all that info on the delco website is out of my league atm.

The Gems up and running again, took it to an auto electrician who found the carrier plate in the dizzy had collapsed. Theres a plastic "shim" in between two plates that make up the carrier plate, the plastic had deteriated and wouldnt allow the timing advance

All sorted, thanks

Todd.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

I keep telling people, the RG dizzies are best....

PS - Todd, how much did the repair cost?
(Glad it wasn't the local green G200W Bellett that also had a noisy alternator.... (2009).)
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

$140, which I was happy with after the headaches it caused me...though its work I could have done myself had I found the problem.

Im going to go the RG dizzy, Im collecting the bits now as Ive had soooo many dramas with the original dizzys

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Not too bad.
I've seen people voluntarily spend $300 cutting new tops to DOHC (or Z-series) bottoms for EFI!
So as a repair that got you going, you did well.

But to see even rebuilds that cost $200-$300 is a shame when usually ~$45 does a DIY or $100-$150 buys a ready made RG dizzy.
And to compare the RG breaker plate (aka bearing) to the earlier sandwich plates; the RG pickup to multi-pole, multi-piece & horizontal-coil in other dizzies (N13, Camira, E30); and the ignitor to others, well, it just doesn't compare. (Though for Delcos use the Delco HEI unless you want the simpler setup & the manual limp home mode.)

Glad the beast is running again.

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

Yeah its a runner, though got defected so aint going nowhere atm I need to get a mod plate for the twin cam conversion, which is no big issue, engineer is happy with the install just need a charcoal canister fitted.

I agree with the benefits of the RG dizzy conversion, one Im going to do, the sandwich plate is a crap design and Ive had 3 fail in the 2 and a bit years Ive had the twin cam running.

I now have another issue, all the 4 pole pickup wheels Ive got have lost their end tips and motor fails to start. Im on my last good one...Ive found when the sandwich carrier plate fails it doesnt allow outer magnetic ring to remain at 90 degrees to dizzy shaft, hence the air gap is lost and the tips are sheared off.

The biggest cost in the RG conversion will be having an engineering shop turn up the brass sleeve. Ill have to do a write up on it when I get the time to do the switch

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

What brass sleeve?
Just use shim (0.15") or even epoxy - it's only 0.20mm slack (a 0.40mm diameter difference).

But a sleeve is probably cheaper than those that buy a NEW Magna dizzy and pay $300 for a cut&shut - all for a non-CAS requiring Delco or uTech etc. I'd rather spend that ~$700 on another engine!