G161W-G180W-G200W bearing sets (including cam bearings)

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

G161W-G180W-G200W bearing sets (including cam bearings)

Post by Poida »

Hello members!!

DryftKult came across a web site listing bearings sets for the G???W engines, it looks like they include the overhead cam bearing sets we have been unable to find. At the moment I am communicating with the company and I've asked for some tech drawings of their bearing sets to ascertain if they are indeed the ones we want. It does look good so far, they list two cam bearing sets, one of three bearings (the dummy cam set) and one of ten bearings (the O/H cam sets) and once I have verification they do match the cam bearing shells, I'll post that info.

Now what I want to do is provide the company with an ESTIMATED number of potential sales so they can offer a price for us. I'll encourage members to look at buying COMPLETE ENGINE BEARING SETS rather than just buying a cam bearing set.

So, assuming these sets are complete bearing sets made up of:
main bearings set
thrust washer set
big end bush set
rod pin set (for the early engines that had rod bushes)
dummy cam bearing sets
OHC bearing sets.

Who is keen to buy bearings and how many sets would you be looking at??

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Re: G161W-G180W-G200W bearing sets (including cam bearings)

Post by IZU069 »

My round tuit list includes cam bearings.
My guru informed me that they were still readily available for about $14 each should I need them. This was a few years ago but long after all reckoned they were long gone, and long after I gave up on replies from others in this or other forums that claimed they could get them.

Not that I ever got back to my guru - I intended a once-only order. I would have ordered 2 sets plus another 2 or 3 for others that were interested (subject to pre-payment of AT LEAST 50% deposit).

I mention this in case the others are not OEM Isuzu (like Ford!) or if the $140 (not $280??) +/- post & inflation/deflation for OEM seems competitive. ($280 if $14 per half-shell = 20x$14)

I wonder if complete engine bearing sets are that attractive?
The other bearings are common Isuzu from G150, G161 thru 4ZE1. (AFAIK)
And the combination of wanting st'd or OS main bearings (and big ends?) may make packaging too complex - I suspect many will simply want st'd cam bearings. They were never offered OS by Isuzu.
However, that does not exclude bundling - ie, a package deal of std cams plus 0.25 mains & 0.5 big ends etc.
I too prefer complete sets when it comes to gaskets etc, but that gets a bit excessive after robbing the first few head-gaskets only. But I have always purchased bearings on their own (ie, a set of mains with thrusts, a set of big ends, etc).

Well worth getting the cam bearings though - not that I have heard of too many bottom end seizures unless you use 50W Penrite or Course-plus when typically doing Melb-Albury in 90 minutes!
But these days a rebuilt G200W or (blue) G180W should last over 200,000km - even in 400Nm/170kW form.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

DryftKult

Post by DryftKult »

I'm going to put my hand up here and say, if the cam bearings are available then YES I will want them as I will definatly be going twin cam.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Cool, recorded your interest and I know Pete will snap some up as well, just a question of how many sets... of course if they are the goods we know they are going to be available so no big concern about bulking up. I imagine their pricing is going to be relative to our quantity, thus I'd like to try and merge a few orders into a single larger order. It could even turn into an advantage for the G???Z builders as well, same sets of regular bearings minus the DOHC specific cam parts. If the price for the SOHC set is less than buying local sets then bonus!! We should be able to attract a few side orders to sweeten the cost of the full sets we need.

Could turn into a win (us) - win (SOHC ppl) - win (suppliers) situation.

"i like it a lot!!" :lol:

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Keep in mind my current unfiscal situation (aka reality) and that I don't care about SOHC - I have OHV & (G200W) DOHC only.

But let's just say that for (say) 2 DOHC cam bearing sets, I'm prepared to bumfuck, so the intent is there....

PS... Not to bumfuck, but get DOHC cam bearings no matter how painful

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

Yup, put me down for at least two sets of cam bearings (with dummy cam bearings too). I may or may not have to flounder for the money depending on how things are at the time, but I'm pretty much of the same thoughts as ISU - will do (almost) anything for two sets. Two of my cars will definitely be running a G180W, and I have a third of these engines just sitting there doing nothing... And being one for longevity, having new cam bearings for my babies is a must.

I however, am not keen for full bearing sets. I'm sorry - I see what you're doing, but I've just finished rebuilding my twincams with all new bearings - for me it'd be like pouring money down the drain. Nevertheless, cam bearings all the way.

Cheers
Eli
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

Huck
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Huck »

Yea just the cam bearings for me too, if they dont reply try giving them a call to get some kind of answer atleast.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

UPDATE

I have been trying to communicate with the company about these bearings, the first response I got was a little odd but i didn't think much of it... this is the reply:

Thanks for your kind mail for us.

We're very glad to quote our best prices and to send our drawings for you but could you please advise what's your quantity of your order for us at first?

We're looking forward to hearing from you soon.

I replied explaining we were interested in seeing tech drawings to verify they were the same bearings before we would commit and I also explained we were a group of enthusiasts, we were not a company. I assured there was interest but stated I couldn't at this point provide actual order quantity till we were satisfied the parts were verified as the ones we were looking for. From then on it seemed to be a blank. I sent two further reminder emails asking for the drawings or measurements at the very minimum. Nothing, no reply. It's frustrating but I have just waited hoping they reply.

In the mean time I found another Chinese company who also list the same bearing sets, so I asked them too. Their reply has been better, in they continued to reply. The gist of it is they show that same part number in their listing BUT, they have not yet manufactured these bearings. Their reply is:

Thanks for your mail with info, but these 2 item is not developed.

If you have good quantity would like to order, we will develop them and ask your sample. If you have any question, please inform us again immediate.

So I'm guessing the first company is also in a similar situation but because we are not looking at ordering large quantities, we have been ignored.

I suppose the next step is to ask them what quantity they would need as a minimum quantity order and what sort of price we would be paying for that minimum order run. We may have to pool and order these large quantities then act as reseller to try and recoup some of the costs. We know we could sell some, just how many is the question. Having a fresh option to supply the gaskets is another positive step. If the oil pan gasket mold is also there we could start to develop full rebuild packages...

If some others would like to individually attempt to communicate that may entice them to answer but I have a horrible feeling we are going to be no better off after all this hoping. I suspect they list the part number and won't make them till orders flow, meaning thousands of these bearings, not 240 in total. If any of you do want to try, it would probably be best doing it in spaced periods, not all at once.

So close yet still so far away.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

I have emailed the company who responded and asked what quantity they require to develop the cam bearings for us.

Meanwhile I am still looking for other suppliers.

ajs991
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by ajs991 »

Bit late, but if we can find someone who'll manufacture them I'd be keen for 1 or more sets, price dependant.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

I would much prefer to find some already made. At least we now have some part numbers to work with. I have found original Isuzu part numbers for them as well as these Chinese bearing company number.

The part numbers I have are:

C513B [3]
(SH-1032B)
(C171L)
5-11611-002
9-11611-020

C514B [10]
(SH-1620B)
(SH-1103B)
(C172L)
9-11611-040
9-11611-035

UPDATE!!!
Now for some more news. I have found a reliable bearing manufacturer who list a set of (10) camshaft bearings. They cross reference with the Isuzu part number 9-11611-040. Their dimensions are as follows:
max shaft diameter - 29.945mm
min housing bore - 32.985mm
max wall thickness - 1.510mm
length - 20.130mm
They seem to be what we need, now to see if they still have stock or still produce them. let ya all know how it turns out.

antus
Administrator
Administrator

Post by antus »

Wow, just stumbled across this on ozgem, and followed the link here. I'd be interested in a set. Planning on cleaning up, installing an MLS and whatever else, and putting some boost in to mine.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

OzWho?

And why do I need at least 25 characters in a reply?

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

It was a test Pete, I know it's not you now!! No way you can post one liners!

It's one of the anti spammer tools. Might even bump it up to prevent posting links and nothing else.

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

But it spoils my rare short & sweets....

I just couldn't resist the OzFem jibe.... (still putting out boot fires...)

PS (8May) - no links is a good idea - I don't think text-links have the same appeal or rewards.
And anyone that is genuine can always be exempted - they merely need to supply suitable info...

yldgem
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by yldgem »

hi there;

has there been any develepments in the bearings, ????????
Twin cam in the gemy, thats the plan.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

No reply to my email I sent them so I'll resend another email. We have to eventually break this cam bearing drought!!

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

If and when we happen to get to an ordering stage, Ill have 2 sets

Cheers

Todd

antus
Administrator
Administrator

Post by antus »

Has anyone tried taking one out and going to a generic bearing shop and saying "can i have some of these please?" I dont know a lot about the topic, but surely such a basic metal part its an off the shelf item after matching up the physical size? Trying to source the right isuzu OEM part number seems like the hard way to do it?

What about: http://ozgemini.com/forums/tech/viewtopic.php?t=8666

Conrod Bearings [G180w] - G200z
Conrod Bearings [G200w] - G200z
Crank bearings G180w/G200w - G161z, G180z, G200z
Pushrod cam bearings G180w/G200w - G140/150/160 Pushrod engines
Cam Bearings - Shano off the DOHC forums can supply these, they are a modified motorcycle bearing

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

Yes. ..

antus
Administrator
Administrator

Post by antus »

Ive found a honda motorcycle main bearing that is pretty close, but not perfect. Ive discussed it with the engine builder who is cleaning up my head and he says that the notch being in a different position is not a problem as its easy to notch the head, and the oil hole missing from where its needed it not a problem as thats easy to drill. But his concern is the surface area is approximately 50% of the original. Some people say the surface area does not matter so much so the call is yours. Im rebuilding with old bearings at the moment, and am still hunting for the ideal fit, but thought i'd document this here as its better than a kick up the ass and incomplete and untested data and at the moment it may be the best option if your original bearings are stuffed and you cant find any better replacements. Watch this space though.. Im still searching/trying/testing.

Honda CB400 MY09 motorcycle main bearing. $7.45 from Honda world, probably similar from any honda shop.

Honda Part Number: 13324-MY9-751

antus
Administrator
Administrator

Post by antus »

My Honda motorcycle mate says that being a main bearing in a modern bike that is producing 39 kW at 11,000 rpm and 39 Nm at 9500 rpm and with more oil flow due to the trench in it he says he'd use the Honda bearings and be confident that they would take force on the cam. But... its up for debate...

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator

Post by IZU069 »

antus wrote:My Honda motorcycle mate says that being a main bearing in a modern bike that is producing 39 kW at 11,000 rpm and 39 Nm at 9500 rpm and with more oil flow due to the trench in it ...
LOL!
And less to the big ends.... (which only handle 400Nm of rear-wheel else engine toque).

But everyone knows it's the oil pump that regulates oil pressure... (Even a qualified mechanic I recently spoke to!)

antus
Administrator
Administrator

Post by antus »

I was referring to the same effect as this mod:

http://poida.x10hosting.com/twincam/vie ... ?f=1&t=464

Also I just noticed that the honda bearing has the same branding as the original bearing. Can anyone pick the company?

Original is stamped SD8B but its over exposed in the pic.

Greengem20B

Post by Greengem20B »

They are made by Daido in Japan, they pretty much have 100% of the Jap OEM market....

Been trying to download their catalogue to see if there may be a listing, fingers crossed though nets running sloooooow tonight, Ill report back tomorrow

Todd