Price on a G200W in pieces

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

twincamTG
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Price on a G200W in pieces

Post by twincamTG »

i have a G200W in the shed that is in pieces. from what ive seen, i think that everything is there to put together.

i doubt that i'm ever going to use it. i'm wondering what price i should be chasing for this or if it is worth keeping.

any thoughts would help.

cheers,
alan

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

Honestly, I wouldn't think in that state it's not going to really be a high price engine. It's probably going to be purchased more for spare parts than as a rebuilder especially if it's been disassembled for long and atmospheric moisture has begun to form oxidisation on machined surfaces.

A cople of questions about it.. What reason was it pulled down for to begin with? What fuel system is with it? Is it just a standard G200W or had it been altered or rebuilt before?

1600 TG
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by 1600 TG »

With it being exposed to moisture (if it has been), and it wasn't to bad you should be able to get it all machined though, or would you recommend against doing this.

TwincamTG, pity your in Perth, i would've grabbed it off you, to courier to QLD would cost a bomb.

twincamTG
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by twincamTG »

i got it when i bought my twincam setup. this was for spares, but i was going to rebuild it until i actually researched and found out how much it was going to cost.

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

Ideally if it had been carefully packed in a wooden crate after having the exposed faces coated in thick grease or that storage laquer it should be ok. Having it also wrapped in rust inhibiting paper packing also helps. It's amazing how easily rust begins to form on exposed metal just left in a shed.

twincamTG, what sort of price would you be chasing if you were to sell it?

tuffTE
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by tuffTE »

depending on what you are looking at for it i might be interested in the spare parts, as i have to give my G200W a re-build soon. I am in Perth also so if u can give me a message when u have some kinda idea i wouldn't mind checking it out.

-elky-

twin cam

Post by -elky- »

yeah all the twin cams i have seen in pieces are the end result of motors not running well or not at all and have been pulled to inspect, if they were good runners it doesn't make sense to rip them apart!

consider this:

a mate bought a gem with a twin cam in pieces and wanted to fit it, but another twin cam came up for sale (yobbo's) with box and he wanted it, so i went with him to have a look, as mick (owner) hadn't heard it running i thought i better check the compression first, mick bought it off yobbo, who bought it another member (can't remember) who bought it off another member (again can't remember) and never in this time was the motor ever installed! :?

so guess what ? when i did the test, the best this motor was gonna run was on 3 cylinders with 4th dead , he didn't buy it, and in hindsight i shoulda!!! :oops:

beware of a twin cam you cannot hear running and if u find one get some1 who is knowledgable to inspect it!!! due to the parts /gaskets hassles these motors often get run into the ground

cheers :lol:
TBA

Coley
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Coley »

I bought my g200w for 600 bucks. I bought it in pieces due to a broken bottom end bearing. It came with new pistons, reground cams, new valve springs, custom made extractors, ported and polished head, twin solex carburettors and a spare g200 crankshaft. It has cost me about another 700 to get it back together.

twincamTG
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by twincamTG »

well i'll take some photos of it tomorrow and then post them up. Then have a better idea of what ive got. and see what its worth.

twincamTG
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by twincamTG »

well i'll take some photos of it tomorrow and then post them up. Then have a better idea of what ive got. and you can see what its like.

tuffTE
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by tuffTE »

gewd idea man
still really interested :D

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

I bought my G180W needing a rebuild for $300. I'd say maybe $400-$500 is reasonable depending on condition, parts needed, etc.
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

PF60ZZR

Post by PF60ZZR »

I've just bought a G200 twincam from a wrecker here in sydney it was complete except for the sump had been removed and they had sold the oil pick-up assembly, thus stuffing the sump gasket. They found the sump 2 days later and I picked it up. I only paid $150 for it, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for a G200w in pieces

Couped Up

Post by Couped Up »

Hey Alan,
Could you respond to my PM.
I'm interested in the engine as is.