Supercharger

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Coron
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Supercharger

Post by Coron »

hey ya guys,
im thinking of doing a supercharger set up on my G200w, i know its been discussed before but the thread was abrubtly stopped by someone asking about drifting (lol).
I know everyone is going to tell me a turbo is more efficient....... i have been told this many times but i like the idea of the super, having power when ever i want it all the way through the rpm range plus the torque gain and we all know how much torque these G-w engines have compared to other 4cyl engines.
my engine has low comp pistons that have been ceramic coated so im looking for something that can put out quite a bit of psi.
im just looking for someone that has put a super on one of the G-w engines.....if it has been done
i have seen people discussing clutch systems on blowers, dose anyone have any info on them
any help would be muchly appreciated

Harry

ke20_lor0la

Post by ke20_lor0la »

Clutch system on superchargers are usually turned on by an ECU, I guess at a certain TPS % but you can just hook them up to a switch so you can turn it on or off manually

I'm not sure what type you should be using, I know the Toyota SC12 or SC14 would be your cheapest bet (cheap over here in NZ at least) but they aren't very good from what I've heard especially when going for lots of boost (might pay to google this)

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Re: Supercharger

Post by archangel62 »

Yeah SC12/14 are cheap but not great, big hairdryers I've been told. Some superchargers, from my understanding, don't use a clutch but instead use a relief valve, but I could be wrong... maybe they use both? If you're using low comp pistons then I highly endorse supercharging, low comp turbo is a bad idea.

Unfortunately good superchargers cost a lot, I think the word's centrifugal, but it's been ages since I've looked into it, but think lots of thousands of $$. GeminiCoupe (Nick) might know a bit about them.

I'm interested in air bearing technology. It's not fully developed yet but I bet it'll only be a few years... Basically the "bearing" is two sheets with microscopic indentations, think of crushed alfoil at a microsopic level, then the pressure forces a thin barrier of air between the two sheets and it has pretty much no friction or bearing wear, and they've figured out a way of it surviving the "grounding" of when it stops rotating. These things can outlive most cars (20+ years, more than a lot of turbos survive) and yeah, no friction. This makes me wonder if they'll bring it in for supercharging, imagine a frictionless supercharger!

... anyway!
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

ke20_lor0la

Re: Supercharger

Post by ke20_lor0la »

Pretty choice little setup I thought in this link

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 161500.htm