ECU to loom compatibility

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Coron
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

ECU to loom compatibility

Post by Coron »

Hello all,
I'm in the middle of doing a G200w conversion to my TG, i asked my engineer if i needed a standard (or non programmable) ECU when i started the conversion and he said "nah you wont need that" but ive just been talking to him and he wants to see a standard ECU in it........ its all wired up with a loom to suit a Haltech, im just wondering if there is a ECU from a camira or a astra that will plug into the Heltech wiring loom? or do i need to wire the engine up with the astra/camira loom?
thanks in advance

Harry

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

Dorky engineer - of course you need the orig ECU! (Unless doing compliance for the new one.)
Then again, the G200W was never standard for Gemini. And if sticking to ADR "engine compliance", it should need the G200W ECU...
BUT it should be to the Gemini's engine-ADR compliance, hence the ECU should be irrelevant unless they insist on not being able to change the maps etc.

Haltecs did come with OEM replacements, but that was probably through adapters. I doubt that reverse adapters would exist.
If it is a Delco replacement (using the Delco sensors), maybe you can make an adaptor if needed.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

Coron
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Coron »

Hey ya,
From what i understand it has to comply with the new engine ADR and has nothing to do with the car its going into.
But you would know a lot more than me on the subject, are you telling me that the engine im putting into my TG only has to have emission standards that are the same as the standard TG?? or?
I have read about people getting Delcos and Heltechs registered with Isuzu DOHC in geminis, but who would i have to speak to about this, VIC roads?

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

It is state dependent.
I don't have to worry about that 'cos my vehicles are pre-Gem, so excluding capacity issues, I can put a 117 or Piazza G200W with any carby or ECU set up.
(For me it goes by vehicle - not the engine AFAIK. I thought the same for post-ADR vehicles, but the manual tuning is an issue. IMHO it seems strange however that you cannot replace a 20 year old carby or ECU with a modern ECU that is matched to that car/engine.)

Poida is good on that stuff. I'd be surprised if there isn't a post covering that.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

bellett65

Post by bellett65 »

That is the way I understand it. The vehicle it is going into is the recipient. Therefore the ADRs are relevant for the year of manufacture of the body. i.e 1986 Gemini to be fitted with a say 1983 g180. It should comply with the ADRs of 1986. The states do have some quirky things they want to play with, but the ADRs are federal and states cannot openly play with them. As previously stated pre ADR vehicles have criteria for modification that a later motor does not have to meet any ADRs. But the various states have modification rules that have to be followed. Example a Bellett GT fitted with a G200W. In Victoria if no body mods to fit OK Queensland it has to have certificate. I would suggest you get in touch with your motor reg people mand see if they have a bulletin on modifying vehicles. I know Vic roads have one and it easy to follow.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."