G200W blowing smoke

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

G200W blowing smoke

Post by Trent083 »

Im looking at a tf wagon, that the owner has told me has just started blowing a little smoke (over the last few days), this poses a few questions to me.

1. Is blowing a little white smoke going to be harmful in the short term (i.e 3-4 months)
2. What are some of the general things that can cause it to happen
3. If necessary, are rebuilt kits/parts hard to come by for this engine (note I intend, until ive finished my course and got a fulltime job, to keep it stock)

I appreciate any help you can give

Trent

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Re: G200W blowing smoke

Post by Bradlze »

Hello and welcome

1 is it blowing smoke all the time or primarily on start up?
if its blowing only a little bit of smoke i wouldnt be to worried and if not driven hard it would last over 4 months
2 most general thing that causes this is stuffed piston rings
3 rebuild kits are not that hard to come by (bar cam bearings)
have a search and you will see othere posts regarding rebuilds most of the bottom end is same as a normal g series n head gaskets can be made up and sump gaskets can be dodgied up to work as well

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Trent083 »

I got a friend that can do rings for me (runs a workshop) and if push came to shove, with tools I could do the head myself, but it doesnt sound likes its an overly big problem for the short term.

Thanks for your reply mate, I appreciate it

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

If the engine hasn't been running much, it could be a worry - it might be failing quickly. But it's an Isuzu G200 which could still run for years...

If it blows at start-up, or when taking off after idle (traffic lights etc), then it's probably the valve stem seals. These shouldn't be too hard to replace - they can be replaced without removing the head (ie, pack the bores with string, though some use compressed air to hold the valves closed).

It may be worth getting it compression tested, and determine if it's rings or valves (or both) if compression is low. Piazza G200Ws were 9:1 compression.

A can of rings-and-bearings (the "stop smoke" stuff) could cut down the smoke.

If the G200W is from a 117, the dizzy could be points type.

Cheers, Peter.
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.

Trent083
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Trent083 »

He did a compression test on it about a week ago and all cylinders read 155

IZU069
Spaminator
Spaminator
I live in: Vic

Post by IZU069 »

Not sure if that's a bit low, but being even (matched) is GOOD.

I think my twin-DCOE45 G200W was originally about 150-150psi. I retired it after sitting unused to about 2 years. From memory, the compression varied from under 100 to 120 psi.
She still ran, but she felt like a slow car - she used to beat V8s etc. But the worst bit was it felt like the carbies were chasing each other when driving at constant speed, and I was getting 17mpg instead of the usual 28mpg (about 10L/100km).

It sounds like the engine is good. It may just be stem seals after all.

Good luck - or, rather - Enjoy!
IZU069 - Isuzu means a lot to me.