G180W dizzy

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

harvo

G180W dizzy

Post by harvo »

i'm getting a microtech computer for my G180W ECGI and i need to find out what type of pickup is in the dizzy, can anyone help me out?

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Pretty sure its variable reluctor, poida should be able to confirm.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

Poida
Administrator
Administrator
I live in: Vic

Post by Poida »

My ECGI has normal everyday points in it. As far as i know all the G180W ECGI engines should have had points.

Easy enough to check, firstly, count the number of wires coming out the side of the dissy.

If it's just a single wire and it goes directly to the coil (-) terminal then you have a points dissy. Double check by taking the cap off and you should see points.

If there are two wires leaving the dissy and it looks like this...

then you have a reluctor dissy.

Now I also need to ask, do you have an air flow meter that is fitted in the fresh air intake hose between the manifold and the air filter housing?

harvo

G180W DIZZY

Post by harvo »

Thanks, My dizzy is the same as the one pictured(reluctor)As for the AFM it looks as though it did have originally but when i got it every thing was cut (harnes,intake,exaust,ect)After looking at your engine it looks like it was the same intake.Mine was cut just after the AFM 'whitch i did'nt get along with the air filter box. Apprently you only need MAP and/or TPS to tune it?
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

You need to select components to work in unison with whatever ECM you choose to use. You need some or all of the components that come with your engine. Depending on the options available with your ECM, not all the existing comonents will be calibrated correctly for your application. You may need to replace some items.

Until you actually choose the ECM that you plan on using there is no exact right and wrong as far as engine sensors goes.

You will need specific basic sensors no matter what you choose to control it all with. Most systems use a MAP or an AFM sensor but usually just one, not both.

It really surprises me to have importers bring in engines without the original management system still attached. Think about it when you buy an import engine when they tell you it runs well with ##psi hot oil pressure reading and a cylinder comp of ###psi. They can't test run it with no management attached!

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

With the Microtech [and most aftermarket ECU systems] you dont need an air flow meter, it relies on a Map sensor. Depending on what sort of aspiration the engine has [n/a or forced] will depend on the type of MAP you use [im assuming you already know this]. If you run it in N/A form i cant see why a GM type MAP off an LD Astra/Pulsar wouldnt work, providing that your ECU doesnt already have an inbuilt map [my EMS does].

Youll need a TPS, again depends on what kind of ECU wether you need switched or variable.

The more sensors you run the better the tune you can get. Id be looking at using a coolant temp sensor and an oxygen sensor as well.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph

harvo

Post by harvo »

Yeah, sorry what i ment was MAP and/or MAF along with TPS,CTS,ATS,EGO,etc Iwas thinking about geting a microtech LT8S . Apparently they can be calibrated to suit various types of sensors, and has an internal MAP sensor.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior

Poida
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Poida »

Have you looked at what is on offer with the MegaSquirt packages? The web site is an absolute encyclopedia of info and it is a really useful general resource tool for most forms of EFI. Economical EFI setups with practicly the same opportunities that the big name brands offer.

Get in touch with Warren for Australian supplies and info if you need any additional help.

harvo

engine managment and emisions

Post by harvo »

Thanks, i had a look at the mega squirt web site and it sounds like a good thing but im going to stick with microtech (LT8S) as i live in a small town with more pubs then good mechanics/auto electricians capable of fitting/tuning. The only one that did'nt hesitate (and comes highly recomended from every one i've asked) sugested a microtech unit simply because he has allways used/instaled/tuned them(he built and races a 13B Turbo sprint car) and has had very few problems.and is possibly (hopefully) getting a dyno. . so it's more of a conveniance thing than anything else. If i had more time i'd probably go with the mega squirt. and yeh i probably got riped off when i brought the engine 1st and last time but i did'nt really know what i was geting in to all it came with was a compresion test and 3 month warrenty still it's all been good so far.
KB Rodeo G180W
Weekday work horse
Weekend warrior