efi problems

Use this forum for general chat relating to G-Series twin cam engines...

Moderators: elky, rodeobob, Spaminator

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

efi problems

Post by Bradlze »

ok so i bought alans (twin cam tg) gem with the twin cam not working properly so i got it to turn on and kinda run i mean kinda very loosely
after initial start up it revs pretty high for maybe 2-3 seconds then it just dies on its arse splutters and shit and turns off if the throttle isnt pulled but even then it doesnt rev properly and still sounds to chug and grumble any ideas???

archangel62
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by archangel62 »

This is a long shot 'cause I'm the rookie who says stupid things.. But..

My carby G161z had a problem similar to this after I put the head on. Somehow the carby had re-adjusted itself or something, but basically it was running extreeeemely lean. Like really really lean, as if the carby throttle body thing was all the way open etc.

It would struggle to start, then rev quite high (sounding remotely like a lawnmower - very very rough) then shudder and die a few seconds later. Maybe it's getting way too much air (throttle body stuck open even??) or not enough fuel - injectors, ecu etc? Sorry, I'm sure I've been of very little help, but I guess it's better than nothing... Good luck with it!

Eli
Twincam needs: surge tank, EFI lines, TPS, recored radiator, hoses, assemble the ECU (50% done).

Shano
Probationary Member
Probationary Member

Post by Shano »

Well basically being an EFI system your problem could be many things,
Is it running the original Engine management system or an aftermarket or Delco setup?
If it is the standard system you could possibly have a problem with your AFM, But without actually checking the car out there isnt much diagnosis we can do. Best bet would be to take it to an Auto Elec.
TD Sedan: Not much happening there.
TX Coupe: G200W Freshly Rebuilt awaiting Turbo

Bradlze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bradlze »

nah i have pretty much ruled out the afm as i have tried 3 diff g200w air flow meters :lol: isnt it good to have spares lol and tried 3 diff computers and yes i am running the original system
injectors have been overhauled not long ago as well so i might be thing probs with the butterfly or tps

mikuni

Post by mikuni »

Bradlze wrote:nah i have pretty much ruled out the afm as i have tried 3 diff g200w air flow meters :lol: isnt it good to have spares lol and tried 3 diff computers and yes i am running the original system
injectors have been overhauled not long ago as well so i might be thing probs with the butterfly or tps
Whoa, why didn't I think of that. Its probably your tps if it has idling issues. We had heaps of issues with a friends mitsubishi idling. It just rose and fell all the time. Just by disconecting the tps it idled perfectly. I don't think it drove (we never tried, but I wouldn't imagine it would) but the idle was perfect. I think even changing the tps with another unit may not fix it, often they have to be set exactly right. I think you can do it with an ohmeter to test the resistance - make sure its at zero when the throttles close. Anyway all thats just a sugestion.. would be a nice cheap fix if thats the problem though!
1979 Vauxhall Chevette Wagon G200W
1982 Isuzu Gemini Wagon G161

GeminiCoupe
Long Term Member
Long Term Member

Post by GeminiCoupe »

Ok, the idle problem sounds like a TPS, idle screw not open enough, vac leak? Which should all disapear once you pull the throttle open by hand..

As for the "splutter", whats it like? Misfire style? If it is check your timing again and check the dizzy cap for any hairline cracks etc.

Nick-
Project One - 1976 TX Gemini Coupe G200z Turbo
Daily - S15 200SX, 13.29 @ 107mph